[SOLVED] power supply cable - pci-e 6+2 pin

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
Right now i am using a thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750w and a rog strix 1660 super.
Eventually i will upgrade the gpu but i was curious, the pci-e 6+2 pin that goes from the power supply to the gpu. The cable comes with two different connectors on the gpu side. you use one, and the other is left as just this floating pigtail.

Are there cables without the second connector, extra connector? looking on amazon, there are a ton of cable extensions but not cables that you mount directly from psu to gpu. Just built a new case and having to change the cable management, the extra pigtail just looks kind of dumb, whereas if i can get a pci-e without it would simplify it.

just had a thought. when looking at others cases on here and youtube and such are they keeping this pci-e cable completely hidden and only the extensions are showing and thats why it looks more clean and managed?

Last edited:
Solution
Since modular power cables are not universal across PSUs, extensions are usually the preferred solution for people who find the unused connector a problem. An extension can work with any cable after all, while an aftermarket single-connector cable for a PSU will have to be specifically compatible with that exact PSU.

Cablemod is one of the companies that does make cables that can replace stock cables. But they're not cheap, and they almost entirely cater to PSUs that are popular in the enthusiast community.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Since modular power cables are not universal across PSUs, extensions are usually the preferred solution for people who find the unused connector a problem. An extension can work with any cable after all, while an aftermarket single-connector cable for a PSU will have to be specifically compatible with that exact PSU.

Cablemod is one of the companies that does make cables that can replace stock cables. But they're not cheap, and they almost entirely cater to PSUs that are popular in the enthusiast community.

Solution