Power Supply causing cpu overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgreatnee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hello everyone,

I recently updated my pc and It has led to cpu overheating. I think that it is a psu issue.

I have a lot of trust in this forum and so i feel i would get right psu suggestion here.
My specs are

CPU - amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition (http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii550/)
Max TDP 80 Watts

2 SATA HDD

1 DVD RW

1 ATI 6670 1 GB DDR5 CARD (requires 400 W)

2 CPU FANS

Can you suggest the PSU that i should opt for. I need a budget level PSU if possible.

Solution
There is absolutely NO WAY the PSU can cause the CPU to overheat.
In the worst case scenario the PSU can't provide the CPU with enough power so the CPU wouldnt even be able to overheat.
Unless your PSU is a no brand 300W unit you should have no problem.
And your graphics card does NOT require 400W on its own.The requerement stated that the whole PC WITH this graphics card can use no more than 400 watts of power.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
There is absolutely NO WAY the PSU can cause the CPU to overheat.
In the worst case scenario the PSU can't provide the CPU with enough power so the CPU wouldnt even be able to overheat.
Unless your PSU is a no brand 300W unit you should have no problem.
And your graphics card does NOT require 400W on its own.The requerement stated that the whole PC WITH this graphics card can use no more than 400 watts of power.

Solution

dgreatnee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Does this mean that spending money on new Psu is of no use??
Will applying thermal paste reduce my cpu temp from 100 C to 40 C??

Is there any s/w or any way in which i can monitor weather my cpu and gfx card is getting current power supply.
On internet i can find only temp monitor tools.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Did you remove your heatsink from your CPU? If you did, you need to clean off the old thermal paste and re apply brand new thermal paste. You can't reuse the old stuff.

Vinomadd

Reputable
May 9, 2016

I don't have any kind of proper understanding of this problem, but I can confirm this is very possible as it just happened to me. I had an underpowered powersource for my rig with an FX 8320 that was reporting terminal 90c temperatures at start up. It has something to do with the voltage being inconsistent. Upgrading the PSU immediately fixed the problem.

And to be clear, in fact the processor wasn't overheating, which was verified by a much more knowledgable IT guy than myself who had the tools to take direct temperature reading of my processor and the socket during an "overheat to shutdown" event. The voltage was screwing with the processor's ability to gauge temperature. It seems to be more prevalent in processors which don't have actual sensors, like the FX 8320 though I do not know if this is unique to these types of processors but making sure your rig has a proper psu can absolutely fix this problem ASSUMING you're not experiencing genuine overheating. That s the first thing that needs to be confirmed here.

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Your PSU can cause overheating if it is insufficient to run your system, reason being the PSU overworks to exceed it's limitations to power your system which causes incorrect voltage distribution to the rails on your PSU some may be getting too much and some not enough causing some of your components to overheat including your PSU. I have been an I.T. break fix technician for 18 years and I also rebuild PSUs. I guarantee you I have a lot more knowledge on this area than most system builders. Replace your PSU with a more than sufficient power supply and you will notice your temps drop dramatically.

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
Hey there,

I just changed the grease on my PSU cooler and CPU started overheating like crazy. My whole case is going hot lava. I haven't even touched the CPU or it's AIO. I don't know what to do :|

Status
Not open for further replies.