Question Power supply causing temporary "freezes"?

Jun 5, 2020
A while ago my 1000W PSU stopped working out of nowhere. All I had laying around was a 700W so I threw that in, and decided to ugprade my SATA boot drive to an SSD and move to Windows 10 while I was at it. At first there were seemingly no issues, but pretty quickly I started getting these random "freezes", which would kinda lock up every application, while still being able to move my mouse most of the time, while other times it would also turn all my USB devices off. I noticed my WIFI adapter was malfunctioning, so I switched to an ethernet cable and boom, no freezing issues anymore. But it's been about a month and I've just started getting them again, this time my USB devices never shut off, but the freezing happens a handful of times a day, and 99% of the time I just have to wait a few minutes for it to come good. Weirdly it usually only happens when I'm using chrome and/or office programs, doesn't really happen when I'm playing a game.

So the obvious answer to me is that I need a more powerful PSU (GPU is slightly underclocked but it probably still needs more juice), but seeing as I replaced my boot drive at the same time, I wanted to see if anyone had any more insight on this before I go and replace my PSU? It's not modular so it'd be a bit of a pain to replace it and then find it was actually my SSD or perhaps even a Windows 10 incompatibility with my hardware.

Thanks in advance for any advice you absolute legends.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 100T 3.3GHZ 6 Core
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7990
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO (boot) and x2 SATA HDDs
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700 LP-700AL2NH
CPU Cooler: AIO Water (if that makes any different to power reqs.)

Last edited: