Question power supply/charger question, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
I have a dell g7 7590 gaming laptop with a intel i7 9750h cpu, and a rtx 2070 max q video card. the power supply that came with the laptop is a 180 watt charger, now whats happening is i can play games, but while playing games the battery starts discharging while laptop is under a heavy load. so this charger that dell supplied in the box is under powered. so what i did was i bought a new 240 watt after market charger, the reason why i got a after market charger is cause dell only sells 180 watt chargers for my laptop. is it ok to use a after market charger? im asking before i use it. thanks...

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Hi.

There is nothing wrong with using after market charger. As for dell the after market charger must be recognized by your laptop. Most charger wont work on dell laptops as dell has 3rd center pin to communicate with laptop.

You can test it if its working on your laptop then its alright.

I was having trouble find 330watt charger for my msi titan. So i hoeked up 2x hp 180watt and it works just fine.

Cheers

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Hi.

There is nothing wrong with using after market charger. As for dell the after market charger must be recognized by your laptop. Most charger wont work on dell laptops as dell has 3rd center pin to communicate with laptop.

I was having trouble find 330watt charger for my msi titan. So i hoeked up 2x hp 180watt and it works just fine.

Cheers
i read online that if my laptop does not recognize the charger, that i can go into the bios and disable that issue.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Hi.

Cheers
also why do you think dell is not providing a charger with the proper wattage?

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
also why do you think dell is not providing a charger with the proper wattage?

Wel. 180watt is pretty enough for your laptop. Normally i see 1x gtx1070 comes with 180watt. 1080 with 230watt. Not only dell but asus provide alnost the same wattage with this kind of setup.

You can try aftermarket charger if still the same issue then maybe your laptop has a problem. Software or maybe hardware. But test it 1st with replacment charger.

I have a dell g7 7590 gaming laptop with a intel i7 9750h cpu, and a rtx 2070 max q video card. the power supply that came with the laptop is a 180 watt charger, now whats happening is i can play games, but while playing games the battery starts discharging while laptop is under a heavy load. so this charger that dell supplied in the box is under powered. so what i did was i bought a new 240 watt after market charger, the reason why i got a after market charger is cause dell only sells 180 watt chargers for my laptop. is it ok to use a after market charger? im asking before i use it. thanks...

I'm actually surprised that it doesn't come with a 240W adapter already. 180W does seem a bit anemic.

As long as the output VOLTAGE is correct (19V, correct?) and the barrel connector is correct, then you can use a power adapter from any manufacturer.

Should be a "polarity indication diagram" on the PSU brick's label or documentation.

Pretty sure it's typically positive polarity which is + for the tip and - around for the sleeve.

If it's the other way around, it's called "negative polarity".

What is the adapter you have?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Should be a "polarity indication diagram" on the PSU brick's label or documentation.

Pretty sure it's typically positive polarity which is + for the tip and - around for the sleeve.

If it's the other way around, it's called "negative polarity".

What is the adapter you have?
well the original dell 180 w charger looks like a - polarity but i looked it up and people are saying it is indeed a + polarity the polarity picture is mis leading. what im doing is replacing the 180w oem charger for a nice after market 240w charger

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Yeah. The Delta made adapters are hard to read because they put the positive sign on the left, intersect the sleeve and then points to the positive pin. You have to look really closely at it.

Dells are positive polarity adapters.
ya its a dell g7 7590 i7 9750h cpu, rtx 2070 max q video card. the reason why im switching chargers is cause im getting battery drain when using the 180w charger.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020
Hey bruh?Did u fix the issue with 240w adapter?having the same issue should i sue dell because they did not tell me before hand about this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.