[SOLVED] Power Supply Confusing

Feb 18, 2020
I have an HP Pavilion Power 15 Laptop and recently have experienced the following when connected to a power outlet.

When I plug in to the outlet and switch on mains power the indicator led on the side of the laptop did not light up and the connected indicator on the screen was not showing. I presumed a blown fuse in the mains adaptor which I changed and all power up correctly, the indicators came on and the laptop worked fine and the battery charged correctly. The following day the same happened again I changed the fuse and all was well and I decided that I needed a new power adaptor but…..

I checked the blown fuses with a multi meter and discovered that they had not blown. The next time I connected to a power outlet I had the same missing indicator so I removed the fuse from the mains plug then I put the exact same fuse back into the plug, powered up all correct. This process has happened quite a few time in the past weeks I also tried the tip seen here and elsewhere of removing the battery restarting, powering down and replacing the battery, although this cleared the issue for that one time only it soon returned.

This whole process is confusing and seems completely illogical. Has anyone else experienced this and can you provide any advice.

Solution
Ok I don’t know if my experience is transferable to laptop power supplies but if a desktop PSU I would say the PSU is failing. With a failing desktop psu it’s possible the psu won’t switch on until disconnected from the mains supply for several minutes firsts. I believe it has to do with waiting for certain capacitors to discharge. The changing of the fuse may have acted as waiting with the PSU disconnected. Anyway it sound like you need a new power adapter.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
While I can't give you a solid answer, it would seem (from afar anyway) that the issue may be with your electrical service. Not the laptop. To verify... next time this happens, plug another electrical device like a table lamp or something similar into the same outlet that the laptop is plugged into. See if it works.

Also.. were you leaving the laptop plugged into the outlet while you changed fuses,or had you disconnected the laptop first?

Feb 18, 2020
While I can't give you a solid answer, it would seem (from afar anyway) that the issue may be with your electrical service. Not the laptop. To verify... next time this happens, plug another electrical device like a table lamp or something similar into the same outlet that the laptop is plugged into. See if it works.

Also.. were you leaving the laptop plugged into the outlet while you changed fuses,or had you disconnected the laptop first?
Thanks clutchc
The power outlet is fine, I have this issue at other outlets too.
Thanks for the advice though

Ok I don’t know if my experience is transferable to laptop power supplies but if a desktop PSU I would say the PSU is failing. With a failing desktop psu it’s possible the psu won’t switch on until disconnected from the mains supply for several minutes firsts. I believe it has to do with waiting for certain capacitors to discharge. The changing of the fuse may have acted as waiting with the PSU disconnected. Anyway it sound like you need a new power adapter.

Solution