Power Supply Connections Question for Graphics Cards

Smack2k

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
I have a slightly older system with an i7 4770 and 2 660Ti's in SLI.

My PSU went so I need to replace it. I have an unused Rosewill PSU (750W) I want to use, but the PSU only has 1 set of 2 6-Pin Connectors. My 660Ti's have two 6-Pin Connectors each. So I can power one of the cards off the included x2 6-Pin Connectors. Can I take Molex to 6-Pin Adapters and use them for the two power connectors on the other card? I have a few of these adapters so wanted to know before I go out and spend money on a new PSU.

Solution

Honestly, it's a pretty old ATNG-made power supply, not one I'd want to trust with adapters. But it's your equipment and your call.

DSzymborski

Titan
What is the *exact* Rosewill PSU? Rosewill sold some very poor PSUs in its early days, then sold excellent PSUs for a time made by Super Flower, and then backtracked to OK PSUs when they changed manufacturers again. Molex adapters are rarely recommended; quality power supplies usually have enough connectors and the adapters themselves become a weak point in the power delivery (I've seen many melted molex->PCIE adapters and a few times, worse).

Smack2k

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
Thanks, appreciate that.....the Rosewill is a RG-700-S12....700W not 750....my bad.....but that is the model....

I may just get a new PSU if I have to.....was hoping I could use the adapters

DSzymborski

Titan

Honestly, it's a pretty old ATNG-made power supply, not one I'd want to trust with adapters. But it's your equipment and your call.

Solution