Question Power Supply Connector Problem

Mar 30, 2021
Hello guys, hope everyone is doing great.
I've been experiencing a weird problem that I think is related to the PSU connector on my PC and since I'm a novice at this stuff I would really appreciate some guidance. So here's the issue and summary of what I've already tried:

1. I got this gaming PC from another guy and it worked well for a while until I noticed that the PC wouldn't turn on after I press the power button. I checked the main power cord connected to the power supply and after a few attempts noticed that the power cord was loose. Naturally I bought a new power cord and tried again but it was still loose so I thought must be some other issue. I doublechecked the loose cord issue by pressing it in while powering on the PC and at a certain angle it did turn on, so I thought this was for sure the problem with power supply.
  2. So after much searching for other possible causes that might be preventing the PC from starting, I bought a new PSU, got it installed and checked the PC. It worked and everything was well. Until today, when I turned the PC on and it didn't turn on the first time. I checked the power cord, seemed good but still didn't turn on. And weirdly I tried pressing the power cord at an angle (that worked with my previous power supply) and it worked and now it is completely beyond me what the problem really is.
Could this be something entirely unrelated to power supply? Note that when my PC turns on, it works fine and I've been playing games etc and there are no problems while the PC is on.
I would really appreciate any guidance on the issue. Thanks a lot. Stay safe.

Mar 30, 2021
Have you checked the outlet itself? Might be loose in there, or have a bad wire at the socket.
Yes I did check if it wasn't loose. But you are right, I should try this on a different socket just in case. Thanks.
On a side not, I forgot to mention in my post is that while the PC didn't turn on during all this process, the rgb keyboard that is connected to the PC does light up. During all the instances while I was checking this, this was always the case.

But thanks. I'll check test this at a different socket just in case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5V standby power was likely on. Odd that the keyboard would light up, but that means the PSU was failing POST somehow and not turning on the 12V.

Perhaps you have some sort of intermittent short in the system. Check your cables, make sure no screws got under the motherboard or anything like that.

Possible you have a grounding loop with something else on the circuit. Wiggling the power cord may have dislodged the ground connection and temporarily solved the ground loop long enough to get the PSU to start. Ground loops are tricky. I have seen it with battery chargers mostly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS