Question Power Supply cord fell out

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
I was moving my PC while it was turned on (at the WIndows 10's Login screen) when I heard some electrical charge sounds from the back and the PC fell out. Looking at the back I noticed that I didn't push the power supply cord firmly into the PC socket, so it fell out while I was moving the PC.

Now from what I've read, a PC shutting off unexpectedly could mainly corrupt files and to a lesser extent damage hardware. My PC is running normally afterwards and chkdsk didn't find any problems. But what I am really worried about are the electrical charge sounds because of the power supply being a bit loose. Do these sounds hint for surges and/or electrical fluctutations within the PC before it fell out, which give a higher risk of damaging the hardware?

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
I doubt there will be any lingering issues , just be a little more careful and turn off PC before moving.

The sparking you heard was just the loose connection back there as the cord fell out..

If it's plugged-in properly, then you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the relieving answers. I would expect though that the sparks hint that there were fluctuations in the electricity current within the PC. In other words, was it more safe if the plug got disconnected immediately instead of creating sparks for a short time first?

I would expect though that the sparks hint that there were fluctuations in the electricity current within the PC.
The sparks were due to a transitory electrical connection to the PSU, at the power cord / PSU interface, as the cord loosened and disconnected. Nothing INSIDE the PSU or computer--other than normal current draw--occasioned the sparking.

You will observe the same effect is you plug the PSU cord into the power mains with it turned on--though to a lower degree--and will hear sparking as you plug the cord into the outlet.

This is just normal "stuff" that you don't have much opportunity to observe. You do not have a problem brewing inside the computer, and there is nothing to worry about.

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
The sparks were due to a transitory electrical connection to the PSU, at the power cord / PSU interface, as the cord loosened and disconnected. Nothing INSIDE the PSU or computer--other than normal current draw--occasioned the sparking.

You will observe the same effect is you plug the PSU cord into the power mains with it turned on--though to a lower degree--and will hear sparking as you plug the cord into the outlet.

This is just normal "stuff" that you don't have much opportunity to observe. You do not have a problem brewing inside the computer, and there is nothing to worry about.

Yes I indeed understand the sparks wasn't caused by something inside the PC, but I was merely wondering if the rapid disconnecting and reconnecting (which sparks hint for) could be more damaging than disconnecting immediately.