Power supply, Corsair RMx 750W or Rosewill - Capstone 750W

Robingh

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Hello all!

I am building a my first desktop gaming pc and was wondering about a power supply. As of now there is a good sale on the Rosewell and it has a good review on jonnyGuru, but I am wondering what this community thinks.

Rosewill: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JYxfrH/rosewill-power-supply-capstone750m

Corsair: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q38TW/corsair-power-supply-cp9020092na

I am looking for a build around $1500, that can handle games well as well as some CAD. If people could also share any thoughts on the build too that would be great! The price of the OS should be $0 as my friend has an extra copy he is giving to me.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.84 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card ($514.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1559.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-02 14:28 EDT-0400

Solution
Definitely the rm750x.

They are both great for their price range. The only differences really are the maker of the psu and the fact that the rosewill is semi-modular and the rmx is fully modular. I believe the maker for the rosewill is enhance (Not the highest regarded, they are okay-ish though) and the rmx is CWT, which stands for channel well technology (CWT is pretty good, up there in the top end).

I'd go for the rm750x myself. Fully modular design allows you to have complete control over your cables, which is always a good thing. And the quality will be much better in the rmx. The capstone is still decent though.

As for the build, it is great. I'd change the hard drive though. You won't need 4tb. 1tb is definitely enough for a...

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Like many PC builders say, NEVER, NEVERRR cheap out on a power supply. Pick a trusted brand like Corsair that provides a strong product with great service should there be an issue.

You shouldn't buy a PSU based on brand, you should look at models and compare models.

I would get the Corsair RM550X since 750W is overkill.

MeatFeastMan

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Definitely the rm750x.

They are both great for their price range. The only differences really are the maker of the psu and the fact that the rosewill is semi-modular and the rmx is fully modular. I believe the maker for the rosewill is enhance (Not the highest regarded, they are okay-ish though) and the rmx is CWT, which stands for channel well technology (CWT is pretty good, up there in the top end).

I'd go for the rm750x myself. Fully modular design allows you to have complete control over your cables, which is always a good thing. And the quality will be much better in the rmx. The capstone is still decent though.

As for the build, it is great. I'd change the hard drive though. You won't need 4tb. 1tb is definitely enough for a gamer. I changed the build up a bit:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rzGxBP

Solution
The Rosewill Capstone Modular Cable Version 750W (CAPSTONE-750-M) is made by Super Flower based on Super Flower's Golden Green platform from 6 or 7 years ago.

The Corsair RMx Series RM750x is based on a Corsair customized CWT platform. It should definitely be a better performing model since it's based on a more modern, less than 2 year old, platform.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
The Corsair is a very good choice, albeit pricey. You don't need to worry about getting 750w, as RMx model has fan stop function under 50% load. Based on your specs, you are unlikely going over 50% of the PSU load so you will enjoy true fanless PSU.

Not that the PSU is loud, but no noise is still better than low noise yes?

Robingh

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm trying to aim for around 50% to reduce strain and increase efficiency, I could drop to the 650w but it's $5 more (which is weird but hey)