Question Power supply destroyed my graphic card

Dusan Mldn

Prominent
Apr 28, 2020
Hello guys a few weeks ago my power supply died.
More precisely, it burned down.When i changed the power supply my graphic card didnt give me a single and one ram stick didnt work.
I tried to connect GC to another computer with stronger power supply but it was the same.I even did a voltage drain to it but it didnt help
Any help would mean, thanks in advice

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, what are the specs involved, including both exact power supplies? Hard to say much about some mystery PC. And please be detailed about what actually happened and how you diagnosed the specific problem. I have no idea what "burned down" could possibly mean in this context.

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
Well, what are the specs involved, including both exact power supplies? Hard to say much about some mystery PC. And please be detailed about what actually happened and how you diagnosed the specific problem. I have no idea what "burned down" could possibly mean in this context.
You are right, you cannot just guess system specs and think that's what the specs are.
Also, "burned down PSU" can mean a lot of different things.

Dusan Mldn

Prominent
Apr 28, 2020
The specs are
GPU: was xD R9 380x 4gb WINDFORCE
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM:4GB 1600MHZ early it was 8GB 1600MHZ 4X2
For the motherboard i am not sure beacuse i buyed the computer as a prebuild
The old Psu was SL-500a and it was 500w
And the new Psu is same

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, the PSU doesn't bode well; I can't find any reference to such a PSU and pretty much any PSU that's a complete mystery is garbage that risks frying your components (which might be what happened, you still haven't really described the series of events at all).

Do you have a picture of the chart on the PSU? It'll look something like this.

100-BR-0500-K1.jpg

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
you kinda killing you're pc by you're own not the psu
you're pc need at least a 550w so it works properly
corsair cx650m or EVGA 600 BQ or thermaltake toughpower gx1 600w
these will provide enough power and stable current to you're pc

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusan Mldn
More precisely, it burned down
Here it is
No wonder then. PSU was working close to/or over 100% all the time to power that GPU so it it was slowly cooking itself until it finally burned. And I really doubt it had proper protections so when it went down it probably took GPU down too. You said it was prebuilt - does it come with that GPU or you added it later?

Dusan Mldn

Prominent
Apr 28, 2020
No wonder then. PSU was working close to/or over 100% all the time to power that GPU so it it was slowly cooking itself until it finally burned. And I really doubt it had proper protections so when it went down it probably took GPU down too. You said it was prebuilt - does it come with that GPU or you added it later?
Nah the GPU comes with it
Yeah it took the Gpu and even one stick of ram

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
Try the GPU in another pc
Since you said fans still kick in and lights are on

A pc that have enough watt power

Anyways dead GPU or not get a New PSU the corsair cx650m bronze will handle you're current system plenty
Or if you have enough money and aiming to upgrade further the pc in future
go for a gold one
Put avaible PSU's in you're région hère so WE help you chose one

Dusan Mldn

Prominent
Apr 28, 2020
Try the GPU in another pc
Since you said fans still kick in and lights are on

A pc that have enough watt power

Anyways dead GPU or not get a New PSU the corsair cx650m bronze will handle you're current system plenty
Or if you have enough money and aiming to upgrade further the pc in future
go for a gold one
Put avaible PSU's in you're région hère so WE help you chose one
I already tried it on a diffrent computed with better and stronger PSU
It still does the same thing
Thanks for help
I have one more question
Should i buy a 2gb graphic card and put it inside of this computer?

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
Iqbv5o.jpg

Here it is
I didnt say that my Graphic card isnt totaly destroyed it just dont want to give a picture
It spins and lights on side
Thanks for help
I have one more question
Yeah, replacing your GPU is a good idea.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for help
I have one more question

And what is "better and stronger PSU?" It's important we know the actual PSUs we're talking about, not your vague description of them. To be blunt, you literally ran your GPU on a literal junk PSU and then bought the same junk PSU, so I'm not going to simply take your word that the other PSU is "better and stronger."

Simply put, we need facts. The scarcer the facts, the vaguer the answer. We're not psychics.

Reactions: awayagain