Power supply dilemma

TimFletcher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I am having a bit of a problem with my power supply, and after scouring the web for an answer with no luck I decided to ask it here.

I am trying to power my Evga gtx 460 graphics card with my current power supply . The card needs two six-pin pci express power connectors and my power supply only has one. I had previously purchased two, two molex to six pin adapters like these:
adapter-adapter-2x-molex-6pin-713568_1024x768.jpg

Unfortunately when I had tried these before on a lower wattage power suppy the computer wouldent even turn on, I figured I needed more power and bought my current power supply. Turns out the reason it wouldn't turn on is that both power supplies don't like having two molex go to the one six pin connector even if they are all on separate strings coming out of the power supply. What I am currently doing is using the one 6 pin connector on the power supply and plugging one of the two molex connectors into power. So if I understand it correctly i'm powering nine out of the twelve pins. I'm looking for a better more permanent solution, if anyone could help me out that would be great.

I have looked at quite a few related threads here on similar issues, but if by some chance this issue has already been addressed in the forum somewhere and I missed it just give me a link.

Thanks in advance.

TimFletcher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
it is probably out of warranty and I'd rather not go through the hassle of returning a perfectly functional power supply. I have no issue trying a little soldering, could you explain exactly what you mean?

TimFletcher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Well that would be nice but i'm pretty much broke

TimFletcher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
So after doing some more looking online and at your responses my question is this. Since I'm to broke to buy a new power supply for a while should I:
A) Buy one of these adapters to replace my current adapter? is there any benefit in using that adapter instead of using half of the one i have?
B) Buy one of these like in davcon's last post
C) Just stick with using one one of the molex connectors on my current adapter.

Thanks for your input.

ggirox

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Better go with:

D) Get laid tonignt!