Discussion Power supply discussion and recommended models thread

Darkbreeze

Titan
Below you will find MY standard list of recommended power supplies and beyond that this thread is intended as a landing place for questions or discussions regarding specific units, platforms or related PSU tech, all of which are all welcome to be discussed here. If it's related to power supplies then somebody here likely can offer some insights or look into it.

To be clear, this is NOT a Tier list, does not include EVERY model out there that might be a good unit (And there are definitely some other units out there worth using which are not mentioned here, but probably most of them are either niche models, very limited regionally or older platforms) and should not be considered as any sort of be all, end all reference. These are models that I know are good, and you won't go wrong by purchasing one of them. You can use your own judgement, along with taking the time to read actual reviews, in order to determine which are better than others or which are "good enough" for your usage.

If you are looking for CAPACITY recommendations, I advise you to avoid "calculators" and stick to the recommendations at the following link:

RealHardTechX PSU Capacity(Watts) Recommendations

If overclocking the graphics card or CPU is on the menu, it would be advisable to ADD about 100w to the recommendations found on RealHardTechX, for the purpose of padding things a bit for safety, noise and cooling considerations.

If instead you are looking for model recommendations, then below are my (somewhat) short list of recommended ATX power supply models

Let's start with a couple of the biggest PSU misconceptions out there.

First, that if a power supply has a lot of watts, then that is all that really matters. Nope. That's wrong. Dangerously wrong in fact.

It's also very much untrue to try and say that if a unit carries a certain brand name then it has to be good. Again, wrong.

There are plenty of 750-1000w units out there that I wouldn't trust to power a string of LED lights and might in fact be a much worse choice than a unit with a significantly lower listed capacity.

If the platform isn't good to begin with, how many watts or amps it says it can support is irrelevant.

Higher 80plus certification doesn't mean anything, UNLESS it is a PSU platform that we already know is good anyhow. For example, a Seasonic Prime platinum unit is going to be a better product than a Seasonic Prime Gold unit, because we already know the Prime platform is very good, and platinum efficiency along with it shows there are some improvements internally to account for the higher efficiency.

In a case like that, it might be worth it. It's likely the unit will create less heat, it will probably have better performance in regard to ripple, noise and voltage regulation. It might shave a few pennies, or dollars, off the electric bill over the course of a year.

Other than that, it is not going to perform any better than the same platform with Gold efficiency. On the other hand, just because a unit has Titanium 80plus ratings doesn't mean the unit is any good at all. For example, there are Raidmax units with Titanium efficiency and I wouldn't trust one of those to power a light bulb. There are a lot of units like this out there.

If the platform isn't good to begin with, whether or not it has an 80plus certification is irrelevant.

Whatever you do, don't EVER buy a power supply based on whether it has RGB or lighting, or simply because it looks like it might be a quality unit. Some of the biggest hunks of junk out there look just as good as a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium, but I assure you, they are not. So far there are very few very good units out there that have RGB built in. Maybe one or two models, but rest assured you'll be be paying for the lighting, not for the quality of the power supply.

I don't know what country you reside in, and I know that sometimes it's hard to come by good units in some regions, but when possible, when it comes time to get that PSU, I'd stick to the following if you can.

Seasonic

Seasonic isn't just a brand, they are a PSU manufacturer, unlike many of the PSU brands you see they make their own power supply platforms AND a great many of the very good PSU models out there from other brands like Antec, Corsair and older XFX are made by Seasonic.

Just about anything made by Seasonic is good quality for the most part. There are really no bad Seasonic units and only a very few that are even somewhat mediocre. They do make a few less-good quality OEM style units, but mostly those are not going to be units you come across at most vendors, and they are still not bad. Also, the S12II and M12II 520 and 620w units are older, group regulated models. At one time they were among the best units you could buy. Now, they are outdated and not as good as almost any other Seasonic models. They are however still better than a LOT of newer designs by other manufacturers.

THAT being said, there ARE some units being sold with the Seasonic label that are NOT built by Seasonic. They use Seasonic designed platforms but are built by RSY. For now I believe these are limited to the S12III models, and they should be COMPLETELY avoided, because they are not good quality and in my opinion should not be allowed to carry the Seasonic name, but instead should have been relegated to the Hydrance or Energy power enterprise products which I understand are Seasonic subsidiaries that do not carry the Seasonic brand name. They are not good units based on reviews so far and should be avoided. If that changes based on new information then I will happily remove this paragraph but until then, stay away from them if you are expecting something that is "typical" of Seasonic. These S12III models, are not.

The Seasonic 520w and 620w S12II/M12II units CAN be used on newer Intel platforms, if you turn off C6/C7 in the bios, but I'd really recommend a newer platform whenever possible. Prices are usually pretty good on those though, so sometimes it's worth accepting the lack of DC-DC on the internal platform. Higher capacity versions of the High current gamer are not based on that platform, so they are fine. Those being the 750w and higher versions.

Most common currently, in order of preference, would be the Seasonic Focus series, then Focus plus, then Prime, then Prime ultra. It's worth mentioning that there are generally Gold, Platinum and Titanium versions within each, or most, of those series, but that does not necessarily mean that a Focus plus Platinum is necessarily better than a Prime Gold. It only means that it scored better in the 80plus efficiency testing, not that the platform is better.

Again, don't let yourself get tangled up in the idea that a higher 80plus rating specifically means that it is a better unit than another one with a lower rating, unless you know that it is a good platform from the start. All these Focus and Prime units are pretty good so you can somewhat focus on the 80plus rating when deciding which of them to choose.

Super Flower

Super Flower is another PSU manufacturer. They are like Seasonic and they make power supplies for a variety of other companies, like EVGA. Super Flower units are usually pretty good. I'd stick to the Leadex, Leadex II and Golden Green models.They also make most of the good units sold by EVGA like the G2, G3, P2 and T2 models.

Super Flower doesn't have a very broad availability for the units with their own brand name on them, and are not available in a lot of countries but for those where there is availability you want to look at the Leadex and Leadex II models. The Golden green platform is fairly decent too but is getting rather long in the tooth as a platform AND I've seen some reviews indicating a few shortcomings on units based on this platform.

Even so, it's a great deal better than a lot of other platforms out there so you could certainly do worse than a Golden green model. Units based on the Leadex and Leadex II platforms are much better though.

Corsair

The CX and CXm units are ok as a budget option, but I do not recommend pairing them with gaming cards. The newer 2017 models of CX and CXm are better than the older ones, but still not what we'd call terrific. Even so, in a real financial pinch, or if there are simply no other good models available to you, then the GRAY label Corsair CX and CXM units are passable. You would be wise to avoid the GREEN label models.

Aside from that, any of the TX, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi units are good. Those are listed from good to best, with the best of these Corsair models being the AX and AXi units.

Antec

The True power classic units are made by Seasonic, and are very good, but are not modular. The High current gamer 520w and 620w, or any other PSU you see on the market that is 520w or 620w, are also made by Seasonic, based on the S12II and M12II platform for modern versions, and are pretty good units but again they are an older platform that is group regulated so if you go with a Haswell or newer Intel configuration you will want to avoid those because they do not support the C6/C7 Intel low power states. Once again, I'll use the phrase "In a pinch", because there are certainly situations where those Antec and Seasonic 520w/620w units might be the best of what is available to your and if they are, you could do much worse, but they should not be among anybody's list of top models to choose from if there are other models available that have reviewed well and are based on newer and more advanced internal platform designs.

The Antec High current gamer 750w and 850w units are very good and are specifically not the group regulated Seasonic platform, which came in 520w and 620w capacities There are however older and newer HCG models, so exact model number will likely be a factor if choosing one of these however both the older models and the newer models are good.

Antec Edge units are ok too, but reviews indicate that they have noisy fan profiles. I'd only choose this model if it is on sale or the aesthetics match up with your color scheme or design. Still a good power supply but maybe a little aggressive on the fan profile. This may have been cured on newer Edge models so reading professional tear down reviews is still the best idea. Probably these are not available anymore for most markets.

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro units are very good also and are based on the Seasonic Focus platform.

Be Quiet!

BeQuiet! does have a few decent models, BUT, you must be VERY selective about which of their models you put your trust in. From model to model their are huge differences in both quality and performance, even with the same series. If you cannot find a review for a BeQuiet unit on HardOCP, JonnyGuru or Tom's hardware that SPECIFICALLY says it is a very good unit, and does not have any significant issues in the "cons" category, I would avoid it. In fact, I'd probably avoid it anyhow unless there is a very great sale on one that has good reviews, because their units are generally more expensive than MUCH better units from Antec, Seasonic, EVGA and Corsair.

Certainly there may be cases where sales or regional availability makes a specific Be Quiet! model that has shown itself to be good in reviews might be a good purchasing option but be very sure to do your due dilligence first, because usually this is not the case and there is usually something good from another manufacturer like Seasonic, EVGA, Super Flower, Corsair or Antec in most regions where Be Quiet products are sold that can be had for less.

EVGA
They have BOTH good and not very good models and most of their products that can be recommended are those based on various Super Flower platforms Do NOT simply choose a power supply because it carries the EVGA name, because while they certainly have some excellent models, they have some absolute turds as well and I mean models well known for failure practically every time they are put into a gaming or other system with moderately demanding requirements.

Not very good are the W1, N1, B1, B3 (Most models failed
Aris Mpitziopoulos stringent testing), BQ, BR, BT and G1 NEX models. EVGA seems to like releasing a new model every other week so there are possibly other unlisted models that you'd do well to avoid beyond these. When in doubt, if you can't find a review on an EVGA unit, it's probably because it is either too new, or it's quality is seriously lacking.

Good models are the B2, GQ, G2, G2L, G3, P2 and T2 models. Seems that the EVGA G5 series might be best avoided. The OEM is FSP on the one reliable review so far which was for the 1000w model, and while likely not strictly FSP's fault, the unit did not look like a worthy successor to the G2 or even the G3, which itself was not as good as the G2 but still better than most units out there. There are other, better choices than the G5 at this price point including their own G2 models, which, are getting hard to find. I think even the GQ units would be a better choice.

FSP (FSP Group/Fortron source power)

FSP is a PSU manufacturer like Seasonic and Super Flower, although not as well trusted based on historical performance. They have some seriously poor quality trash models, series and platforms, but also some very good stuff as well. Much as with Be Quiet!, you must be VERY careful which series or even which models within a specific series in some cases, that you consider. Unless you can find a review of a specific model, I'd avoid it. Currently the FSP Hydro G and Hydro X units are pretty good.

Rosewill

Rosewill is the Newegg house brand, but is also available through other sources. There are three Rosewill lines from among they many lines they sell, which in some circumstances might be good options. The Rosewill Tachyon, Quark and Capstone M series are pretty good options especially if there are no other options available that have been recommended here. The rest of the Rosewill power supply products are generally either very "meh" or are outright poor quality.

In MY opinion, Cooler Master and Thermaltake should be completely avoided

They do have a few good units, like some of the Thermaltake Toughpower series models, but most of the models sold by both these companies are either REALLY poor or barely mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced.

This is just ONE example of why I say that. Very new and modern CM unit. One of the worst scores ever seen on JonnyGuru for a well known brand name product. It should be a complete embarrasment for the company, but unfortunately this is not the first time we've seen a really bad power supply come from either of these two companies. Sad.

Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600W review

The Powerspec units sold by Microcenter are a mixed bag. Some of them are fairly decent using the same platform as the Sirfa High power Astro lite platform, so not total dumpster fire type units, but not particularly good either, and some of their units are simply garbage and should be listed below in the DO NOT USE category, but I'm leaving them out because there are really no reviews of them and since there are a few units from them that are ok-ish, I'm giving them a "use at your own discretion but buy a better model if you can" grade.

A gray label CX or CXm unit would probably be an upgrade from one of those Powerspec models, without any doubt.

Certainly there ARE some good units out there that you won't see above among those I've listed, but they are few and far between, much as a hidden nugget of gold you find in a crevice among otherwise ordinary rocks and don't EVER assume a unit is good just because of the brand.

If you cannot find an IN DEPTH, REPUTABLE review on Tom's hardware, JonnyGuru, HardOCP, Hardware secrets (Old reviews by Gabe Torres), Kitguru (Only Aris reviews), TechPowerUP, SilentPC crew or a similar site that does much more than simply a review of the unboxing and basic tests that don't include reliable results for ripple, noise, voltage regulation and a complete teardown of the unit including identification of the internal platform, then the unit is a big fat question mark. It is best to avoid question marks when it comes to your hard earned dollars, whenever possible.

I recommend not trusting such units as companies generally always send out review samples of any unit they feel is going to get a good review, and don't send them out if they know they are going to get hammered by the reviewer. No review usually equals poor quality. Usually.

Other models that IN GENERAL should never be trusted OR USED AT ALL, under any circumstances.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for, but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications label.

Acbell, A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC/Compucase Orion, HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Just PC, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.

Last edited:

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Corsair RMX White 850W

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Allan 'Zardon' Campbell August 24, 2016
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-650w-titanium-power-supply-review/
by Aris Mpitziopoulos September 7, 2016 at 6:00 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html
(By OklahomaWolf on Mon, Oct-31-2016)
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=493

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The new Corsair AX1600i has been reviewed, and as expected an extremely good power supply.

There is no doubt that the AX1600i is better in every single way when compared to the AX1500i, and it is the best PSU I have ever tested currently. Some of you will then probably wonder why I gave it the same score as its predecessor. Well, standards now are different to those that applied when the AX1500i was reviewed, and I have to leave some room for an even better PSU, which I doubt will come out any time soon, however. Moreover, nothing is perfect in this world, so even the superb AX1600i has a couple of downsides with, firstly, its intimidating price tag and, secondly, though easily fixed with a new set of cables, the distance between its peripheral connectors being very short. For demanding situations, e.g. mining, although I doubt anyone would spend so much money to have this PSU's potential wasted on mining, some users might ask for a double-ball bearing fan instead of a fluid dynamic one; however, for most, the FDB fan is actually the one to prefer because it is quieter.
Techpowerup

KitGuru

Tomshardware

Overclocked3D

Darkbreeze

Titan
Good deal. I'll probably start organizing these PSU review links sometime this evening or tomorrow. Even if you have links to older reviews, that's fine too although word of note, I'll probably clean up threads to say something like "so and so added three reviews" and only have the links to the actual reviews in the initial post, just so it stays somewhat clean. Or at minimum perhaps just put it in a spoiler like goldstone did. That way a single page doesn't take up ten miles.

Only on actual review links though. Any other posts or related discussions will stay as posted unless of course they are unacceptable due to content, expletives, etc.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED
Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=493

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-650w-titanium-power-supply-review/

Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 650W

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=536

Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=481

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/stefan/seasonic-prime-750w-titanium-power-supply-review/

Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-850w-titanium-psu,4761.html

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-850w-titanium-power-supply-review/

Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=538

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Spoilers work http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3612443/power-supply-discussion-thread.html#20571439

Darkbreeze

Titan
Just a note, if the review site is someplace like Guru3D and ProClockers, that pretty much only does unboxing, teardown (Sometimes) and an overview, without any real in depth testing, I'm probably not going to add a link to that review. There needs to be worthwhile information in a review, I think, else it's just an unproven opinion. FWIW, I think primarily Jonny Guru, Tom's hardware, Hard OCP, Kit guru, TechPowerUp (Sometimes has duplicates of what is on Tom's since Aris does them for both sites. Will only add one link when this is the case), Anandtech and Eteknix (Some of their reviews. Many of their older reviews were not proper reviews as they did not have their active load tester and oscilloscope a while back. Case by case).

If there are other sites doing proper reviews we'll gladly look at those, again on a case by case basis, and include them when appropriate. For non-English reviews, I will probably not add those because the translations are poor in most cases and there are usually not sufficiently translated English versions. If you think there is one of these, not on a major review site that DOES merit inclusion, I'll be happy to take a look at it but if the translations turn out some nonsense like

"go on a diet for 3 years where I eat only power supplies. However, if I buy budget food, it won't come with many accessories. I can also get weather for cheap?"
Then it's probably not going to get added. Hopefully that's no sleight to anybody who might have done one of those reviews, it's just not entirely useful for the majority of our user base and most likely anybody who speaks that language natively will have already found it on their own and not need translation anyhow. If there are units with GOOD reviews, but poor translations, and somebody who speaks that language can both translate it into something meaningful AND authorize re-upping the review somewhere with the tester/publisher, then I'll be glad to add it. I don't think for the most part that eliminating non-English reviews is going to drastically affect things though.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Instead of this just being a giant PSU review database, I believe we should just focus on commonly asked for power supplies. For example, the Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite (these are non-English, there are no English reviews that I know of. The ones from gecid could be translated by Google, for computerbase's review I recommend DeepL.com)

https://ru.gecid.com/power/cooler_master_masterwatt_lite_400/

https://ru.gecid.com/power/cooler_master_masterwatt_lite_700/

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

Those reviews are trustworthy IMO.

Also, orionpsudb.com is a great place to find platforms of different power supplies. It seems to be down right now, is that just me?

Darkbreeze

Titan
It's not just you, Orions database site is down. Most of us have known of that site for a good many years now. Maybe he's making a change or something. I've seen recent posts by him over at the JG forum so I doubt it's down for good, but who knows.

I'm not going to limit reviews to only popular models. We get FAR too many members asking about other models. Seems like maybe you didn't read my posts or read but didn't hear. Fully half our power supply questions are from indo-asian members who do not have access to these "latest and greatest" models like we do in the US and UK. There are a lot of members who live in places where the S12II or CX550m might be the very best power supply available to them, either at all, or without paying astronomical fees to bring one in from someplace else and frankly most of them don't have the means to do that. So I will be including links to both old and new models. Seems only right that we try to address the needs of the entire multi-national community rather than just focusing on what works best for a select group of people.

And as I said on the non-English reviews, not doing it. If you want to translate it to something accurate and legible, and get permission from the author to repost it somewhere in English, then I'll be glad to take a look at that and link to it if it seems a-ok. Otherwise, some models may just have to be exluded. Since you've linked to them however, they won't go without at least some reference here anyhow.

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
It would be interesting to get some reviews on some “budget” PSUs from India as what’s available makes it difficult to make a recommendation and usually what’s there is the Corsair VS series which isn’t exactly good but can do the job with a higher wattage PSU.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Fully half our power supply questions are from indo-asian members who do not have access to these "latest and greatest" models like we do in the US and UK.
Yes, that is what I meant. For example the Cooler Master Lite is a commonly asked unit from indo-asian.

I just believe we shouldn't fill it with unit reviews no one would use so it doesn't clutter the list.

central source for locating relevant reviews easily,
Otherwise it may just end up being like the RealHardTechx PSU Review Database.

Anyways, here is a very good source for better efficiency ratings and noise ratings, and professional PSU testings database: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

Darkbreeze

Titan

The problem with this, as it has always been, is that there usually are NOT any reviews of them to link to. At least, not reputable ones. If there is a review you want linked and it meets the criteria, post it, and I'll put it up unless it's not a reputable review or is not in english. The problem with non-English reviews is that while you or I know how to only pull the info we need from those reviews, most people WON'T know how to do that as they are not familiar with the majority of PSU terminology plus when many won't know how to get it translated in the first place.

Others will simply disregard it within seconds once they see the reviews end up with a lot of garbled or nonsensical sentences after translation. That doesn't really help anybody to be honest. I'm not doing that for specifically that reason. This is a perfect example of why.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12284

There's a place for them, it just isn't here. Again, linking to them here in your post is fine, just not going to add them to the list of reviews. Too much lost in translation, and no, not the movie.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Yes, I agree some translations can be distorted (and sometimes humorous), but those as you say cannot pull the info from those reviews, likely cannot pull them off of English reviews either. Besides readers jumping straight to the conclusion, and looking at what the reviewer rates it (which we know isn't always accurate as standards change among reviewers and over time), most do not know what any of the internals or testings mean, and how to compare them to internals and testings from other reviews.

For those wanting to understand these reviews, and learn about power supplies, here are some sources that can help;

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies/
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/march/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supply-protections/
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13273

Darkbreeze

Titan
Well, we can all have opinions. Fortunately mine is the only one that matters. JK.

Realistically though, I don't agree. I fully understand power supplies, at least as much as all but a handful of people, and there are many of those translated reviews that I even just end up leaving because even to me they are senseless after translation so I know they will just be confusing for a lot of other members.

I just can't agree that they have value for most people. Bad enough for a guy in India who halfway understands English to try and figure out what a badly translated Dutch review is saying in some garbled, gibberish version of English. I assure you that translations to other than English languages are much, much worse.

You are of course more than welcome to create your own discussion thread with links to any reviews you see fit to link to, and if you'd like those to all be non-English language reviews then that's your prerogative AND I'd be happy to link from here to your post with a note indicating that non-English language review links can be found there.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Believe me, I want to include any and all reviews that are both reliably in depth/reputable and can be understood. If there is a review that needs to go up and can be fully understood with no nonsense or gibberish translations, I'll be the first one to put it up. Even if it's not one of the big well known sites, if the review is well done and offers a real perception of that units pros and cons, both electrically and physically, I'm all for inclusion. Otherwise, much as I'd like every unit worth looking at out there have a link from here to somewhere, there may have to be units that just can't go up.

There are actually a lot of lower wattage but really good units like that with no valid reviews because the companies don't send review samples out or they are simply not headline catching enough. Personally, I'm sick to death of seeing 1000w+ reviews and would like to see a whole lot more reviews in the 350-550w range, since that's where 90% of current systems are sitting at. Maybe we'll see things shift as that target becomes more prominent compared to older systems that actually needed the 650-850w units for high powered or dual card systems. Dual cards are disappearing, so aside from miners, maybe the big PSUs will too.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Well, the process nodes are shrinking offering lower power and higher performance as well. Realistically, how much longer will PSU last in their current state? Technology would have to make a big change from the path(shrinking) that it has followed for half a century now.

Darkbreeze

Titan

Isn't that true for EVERY single thing that people come here looking for?

It's ALL been seen, done and dealt with at some point. There are threads covering every possible thing anybody could ever have or ever will have go wrong with their hardware. Unless somebody is strictly looking for an OPINION, there is no point posting a new thread on any subject, on this or any other forum, if we took that tact. So yes, they CAN find those reviews by Googling them. But they could also solve all the other issues they come here for by Googling it as well, if they weren't mostly all too lazy to put in the work. I guess that's the point.

But you're right, everything anybody can think of to make things easier for people is just a big waste of time. We should all just kill ourselves and be done with it. I mean, it's not like anybody is going to do anything new or meaningful anyhow right? We'll just let Google have the planet since there's no need for us anymore. :heink:

PS, most of the people who will find this useful are people who wouldn't know WHAT to google in the first place. Hence, lists like this give them a good place to start LOOKING at specific models, based on the fact that somebody thought they were good enough to warrant review in the first place.

Darkbreeze

Titan

My point exactly. CPUs and GPUs are both using less and less power, even when overclocked, so aside from miners using many cards (And even then many of them are preferring to use multiple power supplies rather than one large one) I can only see the demand for big power bricks dropping further and further each year.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

The other good thing about this thread is we can discuss things of this nature about power supplies without being off topic!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS