Discussion Power supply discussion and review list thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 4, 2019
Anybody here knows about status of superflower PSUs . I don't see reviews of PSUs from that brand. Is it still popular?

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
Anybody here knows about status of superflower PSUs . I don't see reviews of PSUs from that brand. Is it still popular?
Plenty of Super Flower unit reviews here,
link: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/Super-Flower/

Though, Super Flower isn't that busy releasing units under their own name as Seasonic is. Still, as RL said above, they do make PSUs for other brands as well. For other brands, besides EVGA, you can find Super Flower units from Rosewill lineup as well (Lightning, Capstone and Capstone Modular series).

Darkbreeze

Titan
Mostly if you are buying a Super Flower branded unit, you will want to stick to the units using the Leadex, Leadex II and to some degree, the Golden green platforms. I'd also look at professional reviews as Super Flower, like Seasonic, has been guilty of farming out production on some lower end models (Especially on units made for other brands than their own) to third party manufacturing that is probably not up to par with their own manufacturing quality assurance standards.

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
Happened to go to the Seasonic webpage and discovered that Seasonic has released 3 new PSU lineups: Core GX, Core GM and Core GC.

On there, there's written:
The CORE Series is the brand new series that completes the Seasonic lineup. The 80 PLUS® Gold certified CORE Series comes in all three cabling setups, including the fully modular CORE GX, semi-modular CORE GM, and lastly the fixed-cabled CORE GC. The Seasonic Smart and Silent Fan Control automatically adjusts the fan speed according to the temperature inside the power supply. As part of the TUF Gaming Alliance, the CORE Series is the perfect unit to go with your gaming PC.

The availability of the CORE Series depends on your geographic locations. Please contact your local Seasonic representative for more information.
Core GX, specs: https://seasonic.com/core-gx
Core GM, specs: https://seasonic.com/core-gm
Core GC specs: https://seasonic.com/core-gc

All three series have 7 years of warranty, 80+ Gold certification and 3 models: 500W, 550W and 650W.

Here, i wonder, what would be the reason behind Core series?

Looks like Seasonic is competing with itself since they already have PSUs in that range (Focus/Focus+ series), where:
Focus Gold (fully wired) - 5 years of warranty, 80+ Gold certification and 3 models: 450W, 550W and 650W.
Focus Gold (semi-modular) -7 years of warranty, 80+ Gold certification and 4 models: 450W, 550W, 650W and 750W.
Focus+ Gold (fully-modular) - 10 years of warranty, 80+ Gold certification and 5 models: 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W and 1000W.

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
In Focus series, there are also:
Focus SGX (fully-modular) - 10 years of warranty, 80+ Gold certification and 3 models: 400W, 500W, and 650W.
Focus+ Platinum (fully-modular) - 10 years of warranty, 80+ Platinum certification and 4 models: 550W, 650W, 750W and 850W.

And if Seasonic is really replacing Focus series with Core series, they are replacing these as well.

Here, i'm worried since i have Focus+ 550 (80+ Platinum) [SSR-550PX] PSU in use which i bought in December of 2018 and i don't want my newest PSU to become discontinued/EOL PSU.

What sets my mind a bit ease is that Seasonic isn't known by replacing PSUs in every few years. On the contrary, when Seasonic releases a PSU line, it's there to stay for several years. E.g S12II series (9 years old), X-series (9 years old), Platinum series (8 years old), G-series (7 years old), M12II EVO series (6 years old) etc. (I placed the age by earliest review.)

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
I sent an e-mail to Seasonic about Core series, including possible replacement with Focus series, and Seasonic rep had this to say:
The main purpose of the CORE series is for system builders where fewer connectors and lesser performance are needed and the price point more important.

The FOCUS is our most popular series and a great performance power supply and will continue to be an important part of our power supply offering for the foreseeable future.
While i also asked about the availability of the Core series location wise, i didn't get answer to that.

Though, the new Core series are part of the TUF Gaming Alliance and it looks like it's a special edition PSU, made in conjunction with Asus.

Mali_Mrav

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Hi all
I have this PSU "LC Power 650W Green Power V2.3 ", so is he gona be ok to suport grap. card who need 500W (RX 570 or similar mid range card) ? Everithing works on regular setings,no overcloking and others stuff. Sorry for my bad english ;)

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
Hi all
I have this PSU "LC Power 650W Green Power V2.3 ", so is he gona be ok to suport grap. card who need 500W (RX 570 or similar mid range card) ? Everithing works on regular setings,no overcloking and others stuff. Sorry for my bad english ;)
You have LC-Power Silent Giant series [LC6650GP3 V2.3] 650 Watt GREEN POWER Edition PSU, right? If so, i wouldn't use it. It's made by Great Wall and was released back in 2012.

Also, the official specs page of that PSU is taken offline, indicating that it's discontinued PSU,
link: https://www.lc-power.com/en/product/pc-power-supply-units/green-power/lc6650gp2-v23/

And i wasn't able to find any reputable reviews of it either. I did find two questionable reviews though:
In German, link: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/silent-giant-serie-lc6650gp3-v2-3-650-watt-green-power-edition.1150462
and in Polish, link: https://pccentre.pl/article/show/lc-power-silent-giant-650-w/id=17849

For RX 570 and similar 150W TDP GPU, i'd use any Seasonic unit in 500W range since those PSUs are tried, tested and proven to be safe and reliable. E.g Focus/Focus+/PRIME series.

Jul 14, 2019
Does anyone know if there are any compatible custom sleeve cables or cable extensions for the Superflower 750w platinum?i was told I could use any but I don’t no so much?If used what damage would be caused lol

Not sure who said you could use any. If you use the wrong cable, it could cause severe damage to your system.

Imagine a cable takes a 12v output and sends it to a device only ment for 3.3v. Bad things could happen.
Could also directly short the 12v rail to ground and blow a fuse if the psus ocp doesnt trip.

Cablemod doesnt have cables for superflower psus listed, but the seasonic ones MIGHT work. I am not sure if that unit is a sesonic design like some other ones.

Jul 14, 2019
Not sure who said you could use any. If you use the wrong cable, it could cause severe damage to your system.

Imagine a cable takes a 12v output and sends it to a device only ment for 3.3v. Bad things could happen.
Could also directly short the 12v rail to ground and blow a fuse if the psus ocp doesnt trip.

Cablemod doesnt have cables for superflower psus listed, but the seasonic ones MIGHT work. I am not sure if that unit is a sesonic design like some other ones.
One of the retail stores did. I know that’s the problem the damage could be major. Does every custom cable carry out its own voltage or are they the same?what if the voltage is the same of the psu cables or is that not likely to happen. All my psu says is ac input 100-200v and ac frequency 50/60hz

The cable specs are
Wire AWG​
18AWG, 2.1mm(Rohs)​
Sleeve Tube​
PP Material​
Insulation Resistance​
20M ohm @ 200VDC​
Short/Open Determinant​
20K ohm​

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Titan
I told you already, before, in your thread, that you could use custom sleeved cables made for any of these units shown in the image below including ALL of the G2, G3, P2, T2, G1+, GM, B3 or Leadex models. Since this is my thread you came to looking for a second opinion, seems like maybe you could just have taken me at my word.

This thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cable-sleeves.3501582/#post-21160384

Any cable set made for these units:

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
Older was simpler i think. Spelled things out for you.
While i initially also thought that older naming scheme is easier since we are used to it, the newer naming scheme has it's benefits. Most notably about the PSU's cable configuration that becomes readable from the PSU's model name. At current time, you need to dig out PSU's specs or images to know if e.g Focus 550 is semi- or fully-modular. (Answer: Focus 550 is semi-modular while Focus+ 550 is fully-modular.) With new naming scheme, semi-modular Focus 550 would become Focus GM-550 and fully-modular Focus+ 550 would become Focus GX-550.

Though, what i'm concerned about is the other Seasonic models which aren't listed in that list. E.g S12II, M12II EVO, G-series, X-series, SnowSilent, PRIME SnowSilent, PRIME AirTouch, non-Ultra PRIME series. Does their naming remain same or are they also converted to the new naming scheme? Since when they are converted as well, there will be several conflicts where, e.g:
PRIME TX-750 is SSR-750TD, SSR-750TR and SSR-750TR-SnowSilent
PRIME PX-650 is SSR-650PD and SSR-650PD2
PRIME GX-850 is SSR-850GD, SSR-850GD2 and SSR-850GD-AirTouch

Edit: Typos.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Glorious
Herald
If given that Seasonic doesn't rename their other series to avoid overlap, what we'd get in future would be 3x main series:
CORE series (e.g GC-500, GM-550, GX-650)
FOCUS series (e.g GC-450, GM-550, GX-650, PX-750)
PRIME series (e.g GX-550, PX-650, TX-750, GX-1300, PX-1300)

And two spinoffs from main series:
FOCUS SGX series (SGX-500 and SGX-650)
PRIME Fanless series (Fanless TX-600)

I believe that Seasonic keeps their other currently running series as they are:
S12II *
S12III
S12II Evo
M12II Evo *
Eco *
Eco+
G-series *
X-series *
Platinum *
SnowSilent *
PRIME SnowSilent
PRIME AirTouch
PRIME Gold / Platinum / Titanium

* Previous (oldest) generation Seasonic PSU series, which may see discontinuation in near future.

ASK THE COMMUNITY