Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

logainofhades

Titan
As I said earlier, if you give us a country of origin, we can find you a suitable PSU. We would need system specs too, of course. Throwing your build together in PCPartpicker being the easiest way to list them. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

They are all questionable quality.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Both of them belong in the trash right next to the Corsair CX and VS.

You really have a lot of nerve coming in here criticizing folks who have many many years of experience with this backed up by your anecdotal evidence. Your initial post basically says "I play in traffic all the time and haven't gotten hit, its totally safe". Since you are a new member here you wouldn't have the experience of such failures on a large scale, however we deal with thousands of systems daily and see such failures all the time, many times to an expensive conclusion.

It comes down to if you can spend $450 on a GPU (or even $200!), you can easily afford an extra $30 to get a good quality PSU. Many cases good models and brands are available on sale for the same price as the junk brands. For example the Seasonic S12II is great and often very well priced. The Corsair CX550M is another.

Oct 24, 2018
problem is there is no evga or seasonic here, Turkey.

what i can find are coolermaster, maybe entry levels or corsair thermaltake etc.

this is most popular pc oem seller's website;

http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/guc-kaynaklari-power/

and think about exchange rates 1 dollar equals to 5.70 liras.

and Seasonic M12II-750... i can buy it SECOND hand for 135 dollars.

NEVER buy a PSU used.... NEVER/.

There are Some good Corsairs there.

The TX750M is good.

USAFRet

Titan
Corsair CX600 (2012 version).
Ran just fine for a few years. Medium grade system, never got close to stressing its wattage output.
Took it out, transplanted into a different system....poof. Ate the motherboard on initial powerup.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/corsair-cx-serisi-80plus-bronze-750w-guc-kaynagi.html

http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/enthusiast-serisi-txm750-750w-80plus-gold-moduler-guc-kaynagi.html

Or i would buy that Seasonic before any of that other stuff. The Thermaltake SMART ones are a desperation choice if you're just straight up broke.

Oct 24, 2018
Seasonic M12 II 620W or Seasonic 620W Bronze S12II ? i dont care modularity.

seasonic 620 watts can handle 550 or higher recommended system? basically, oc'ed ryzen 1700@3900 8gddr4x2 and oc'ed gtx 980 ?

You need to get the 620W M12II EVO vers because it has the PCIe cables needed and it's updated vers.

The S12II only has one Daisy Chained PCIe cable.

Oct 24, 2018
so i found second hand 620W M12II EVO for around 70 dollars, it has 2 years more warranty according to seller.
750W M12II EVO, new, listed as 110 dollars here.

will i be fine with 620w with this system: oc'ed ryzen 1700@3900 8gddr4x2 and oc'ed gtx 980 ? or should i buy 750w new? why dont you suggest second hand even if it is still under warranty?

You don't know how old they really are and what the PSU has gone through.

NEVER buy a used PSU.

I was going to come rip that first statement apart, but I can see practically the whole veteran community already did. All the regulars anyhow.

As far as that system goes, IF that second hand M12II is in good shape, it is plenty for that configuration. Used hardware, especially power supplies and graphics cards, but also motherboards and CPUs, are an EXTREME gamble because generally you do NOT get any remaining warranty with them. Most hardware warranties are NOT transferable, so unless you have the original purchase information including a receipt or invoice, or buy from somebody you KNOW who is willing to deal with the warranty process, you are out of luck if it dies. And you save what, 40 bucks?

Not a good bargain in my opinion if you have to now buy another one.

Also, you have no clue when you buy used what kind of abuse that unit was used for. That has always been true, but it is even MORE true right now when so many people are offloading used mining hardware that was ridden hard 24/7, and is probably not nearly as long for this world as it would have been if it had been used moderately in some average persons personal gaming machine.

If you can buy a good unit new, it's worth paying even 50% more for, for the warranty alone, at least in most cases. I realize in some regions this is a hard sell and money is difficult to come by. But there it is anyhow. Just because you live in a region where hardware is scarce and finances are low, does not change the facts or realities of making good hardware choices.

If anything, it should be MORE important so that you don't end up spending money on a piece of junk, and then end up having to go buy ANOTHER one in a few months, or weeks, or days.

Personally, I'd suggest you would be a lot better off with the new 750w M12II, even IF you live in a region where getting the unit replaced through an RMA is not possible due to Seasonic not having an RMA center anywhere near there and having problems shipping out of the country. You are less likely to have a NEED to do that, with a new unit, versus a used one.

Also, just so everybody here is aware, I DID re-post the old tier list for archival purposes, since SO MANY people have PM'd and posted about us leaving it up. I guess they are lucky I had archived it for other reasons, but as long as it was up I figure it belongs to the community just as much as it belonged to Dottorent, so there it is. Anybody doesn't like it, well, too bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3804980/legacy-psu-tier-list-archival-purposes.html

Coming late to this party, just remembering Mom saying if you have nothing nice to say, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all; so I will say nothing about Coolermaster. Feel free to read what Gabriel Torres (who used to review for HardwareSecrets) and the reviewers over at HardOCP have to say about them. The latter offered one of my favorite quotes, about the GX-650 I believe, calling it "a polished turd in a box."

Oct 24, 2018
guys just congrats to you,

i was looking for cheap psu for my brother's old fx6300 system because damn 7970 that i bought for him cant work with 500watt psu.

i saw people saying crap for coolermaster etc then i created acc to say "its just psu!" but i found myself somehow buying Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 750W 80+ Gold

:DDD

i dont know what to say, my psu is http://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=86 and probably this will go to my brother's case.

im not sure i could sell my gtx980 and add this money on it to buy second hand 1070, i need to hear some "you did good thing" from you :) because that psu costs nearly half of the montly minimum wage in my country.

4745454b

Titan
i saw one coolermaster which is 400w, and there is no 80+ bronze thing, so with simple math it can provide around %70 efficiency you dont need be genius to calculate it.

400 times 70/100 : 280 watt. in video he demands 320 watts. so what?

Wait, let me get this straight. You come here proudly talking about how you registered just to tell us how wrong we are and you are 100% right, and you don't even know how efficiency works? Seriously? Any real PSU outputs what it claims to output. If it's a 400W PSU, it outputs 400W. Not 70% of 400, not 82%, not 85%. 100% of that 400W.

If you want to learn, read this. Otherwise skip this paragraph. The efficiency rating is a measure of how efficient a PSU is at turning the AC electricity coming in from your wall to the DC electricity your PC needs. A PSU providing 400W and 70% efficiency is pulling 571.43W from the wall. If it was 85% efficient it would be pulling 470.59W from the wall. This matters because you pay for the electricity you pull from the wall, and there is nearly 100W less waste heat being put into the room. As the others have mentioned the efficiency rating has little to do with how good a unit is. And another site showed it's possible to fake the 80+ rating. I wouldn't buy a unit based just on that.

You did make some points. I wish you had lead with that. I see you are really just trying to find a PSU in your area so I'll take a back seat so you can find you PSU. If I can suggest, rather than tell us we are wrong you might want to open your own threads in the future and ask us for help. Rather than tell us we are all cancer and don't know anything.

Oct 24, 2018
maybe you are right, having no problem so far with coolermaster or somebrands like this led me to think this way.

yeah in eu or us price difference is not too much therebey it is meaningless to get 10 dollars cheaper psu instead of seasonic etc. but like in my country prices become double if you wanna buy a model that you suggest.

whatever, i bought seasonic focus plus 750 gold, i just ignored that money and think as an investment for future even if i had no trouble with known brand's cheap psus.

an also yes i thought if you have 70% efficent psu with 400watss means that you can get 0.70x400 : 280 watts max.

spiet

Proper
Oct 21, 2018
Hi guys,

Building a new system. According to pcpartpicker, my system needs 364w. I will add probably more components in the years coming.

What do you think i would get, a 550 or 650w psu?

Like:

Corsair:

- TX550M is 79 euro

- TX650M is 92 euro

while the

- RM500x is 94 euro

- RM650x is 100 euro

Thinks those are all good but don't want to buy too big W PSU when i dont need it.

thanks

note: it will have a MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC which requires a 500W psu

DSzymborski

Titan

I think the trap you're falling into is that all the effects of a bad PSU aren't necessarily visible to the naked eye. You can see smoke coming out of your PC or the PC not starting. But seeing a GPU or a motherboard fail two years before it would have failed otherwise due to poor voltage regulation or unchecked ripple is a lot harder.