Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Actually, most modern boards don't have the kinds of VRM issues, for a stock configuration, that older boards especially AM3+ platforms had. I haven't seen a single instance of anybody having a VRM problem on any modern AMD or Intel chipset if they weren't overclocking, no matter what CPU they were using. Unless of course they had no case fans or just a single case fan with a poor VRM configuration and a high core count, or a really crappy CPU cooler. Then maybe you'll see some issues.

But that's more or less due to a poor cooling system, not a lack of capability on the part of the board.

Like using AIO's.... ZERO airflow over the VRMS.....

Unlike the good air coolers.

Well, with one exception. Those Cryorig AIO coolers also come with a fan you can point at the VRMs, which I assume is helpful. Haven't used one but feedback on them has been good overall. They don't get much praise on the Best of reviews, but everybody I know with one says they work well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I have an A80 with that, my VRM temps are great, and that is the only thing blowing on them. There is a rear fan drawing heat out from that area as well. Its a good setup for VRM cooling IMO.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I agree, but there are plenty of lower end chipset boards that are good quality. Like clearly the ASUS PRIME B450 is better quality than an ECS B450, or Biostar.

Exactly right. Cheap is cheap, regardless of chipset. There are "cheap" Z series boards too in my opinion. There are cheap boards from every chipset and good boards, at least as far as the quality of the actual construct is concerned, from almost every chipset. Probably ALL of the modern chipsets. I haven't seen a REALLY low quality chipset since some of the old AM3 and AM3+ chipsets. There were a few of those that really didn't have ANY good boards IMO.

Have one now that I was trying to stop from making a huge mistake...…. Didn't work though.... :heink:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3841717/significant-upgrade-rx480.html

So I expect them to be back with issues after they build..

Here is what we have been talking about in a nutshell, perfect example.

Look at the highlighted build, the one that was picked, what a complete total POS.... Compared to the other 2 that are actually good builds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3845246/900-gaming-build.html

Rexper wasn't dumb. He was just stuck on some ideas that didn't always make sense and had his head up the rear ends of everybody over at JG so far that he could no longer smell the light of day. He also insisted on beating a dead horse over and over after being asked not to do so by insisting that units which were ok were dangerous.

But he was on point in many aspects. He wasn't dumb, just misinformed and had some ideas that were planted in his head that were too elitist for general use.

Yeah I know he did, it was obvious.

He was right about a lot of things, other than the S12ii and M12ii Seasonic Units and under recommending by a lot on wattage MOST of the time.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Considering how obnoxious he was about *those* PSUs there, it's a bit like noting all the evenings that John Wilkes Booth *didn't* shoot a president!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

He wasn't dumb, he also didn't have any of the real world experience he made it seem like he had. His experience was from reading the Johnny Guru forums. He admitted as such to me when I called him out for playing PSU grandmaster here while asking noob questions over there. Anyway maybe we should get this back on topic

Yeah, we should.

I was just trying to make a point about a dangerous recommendation.

Actually, the whole reason I created this thread was so that it didn't HAVE to be on topic, like the PSU tier list thread. It's a discussion, and we can discuss whatever we want. I mean, it's a discussoin thread, not a question thread.

That being said, I'd agree that a continued discussion about Rexper has pretty much no value plus these comments are publicly visible and there is no need to bash anybody in the public view, so in that regard I'm in agreement.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah that was basically the direction I was going. No need to have the thread focusing on a now notorious former member. Theres plenty of other bad PSU advice to discuss lol.

Personally I believe if we are going to error, it really should be on the side of caution and or safety.

I would rather over recommend within reason and have the person end up with a quality unit that will last.

Yeah, you are correct, way too much really.

Would rather error on the side of caution personally as long as it's within reason.

I agree, but just prefer to do it without the sensationalism that is more characteristic of the lamestream media. I wouldn't put a VS in even a business box, but it's not because I'd be worried about a fire.