Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 217926

Everyone see there's a new Seasonic S12 III? I can't find anything about it. A reddit thread says the lower wattage models are still group regulated but the 650w model is obviously independent DC to DC. 54a for 648w of its 650w rating is available on the 12v rail.

https://seasonic.com/s12iii#specification

Reactions: JQB45
Saw that. Also saw they were group regulated except the higher capacity models. The old M12II 650, 750 and 850w models were all DC to DC too. Probably same platform as those used on these higher wattage S12II models, IDK. I asked Aris about this a while back. Think there's a post in this thread about this as well.

I also just noticed the Seasonic S12III and was looking for more information on it, specifically how they compare to the now older S12II. Has anyone been able to find a review or any other further information? $24.99 USD after $15.00 rebate card for the 500W model until Tuesday 03-19-2019, the regular price appears to be $39.99 on newegg.com.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Everyone see there's a new Seasonic S12 III? I can't find anything about it. A reddit thread says the lower wattage models are still group regulated but the 650w model is obviously independent DC to DC. 54a for 648w of its 650w rating is available on the 12v rail.

https://seasonic.com/s12iii#specification
Saw that. Also saw they were group regulated except the higher capacity models. The old M12II 650, 750 and 850w models were all DC to DC too. Probably same platform as those used on these higher wattage S12II models, IDK. I asked Aris about this a while back. Think there's a post in this thread about this as well.
I also just noticed the Seasonic S12III and was looking for more information on it, specifically how they compare to the now older S12II. Has anyone been able to find a review or any other further information? $24.99 USD after $15.00 rebate card for the 500W model until Tuesday 03-19-2019, the regular price appears to be $39.99 on newegg.com.
According to the specs, there are several differences between S12II and S12III series:
  • S12II series has max wattage output at: 350W, 430W, 520W and 620W. S12III series has max wattage output at: 450W, 500W, 550W, 650W.
  • S12II series PSUs have fluid-dynamic bearing fan while S12III series PSUs have double ball bearing fan.
  • S12II series have shorter cable lengths (50mm) and distance between connectors (10mm/20mm) than for S12III series.
  • S12II-520 has 4x molex connectors on the cable while S12III-550 only has 3x molex connectors on the cable .
S12II specs page: https://seasonic.com/s12ii
S12III spec page: https://seasonic.com/s12iii

I also sent an e-mail to Seasonic support to ask if there were any other differences between S12II and S12III, e.g perhaps different platform. Seasonic rep had this to say:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

The platform between both are different and S12 III uses a platform that enhanced compatibility to Intel Haswell (and newer) CPU platform. Else, you have found all the others differences to expect.

Thank you.

Reactions: JQB45
If they are Haswell compliant, then how can they be group regulated. We already know group regulated units can't be Haswell compliant. Maybe you can get them to clarify or elevate to somebody who CAN clarify, as to whether these are or are not group regulated units, at all wattages. I expect they are not, because they do not use the 520w and 620w platforms and it would be stupid for Seasonic to use a new, group regulated platform, but who knows.

minusone

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
Building a pc with Ryzen 5 2600 + Asus DUAL-RX580-O8G. Is Seasonic PSU M12II-EVO520 a good choice?
Any other good budget psu suggesion would be much appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm more interested why Seasonic outsourced the S12III production to Shenzen Ruisengyuan Technology rather than building it in house. My best guess is that S12III is meant for developing/Asia/Africa countries.

Though, Seasonic has outsourced PSUs before, like XFX XT series. While Seasonic design, it was made by Hydance.

I think so too, Seasonic trying to compete in those markets.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm more interested why Seasonic outsourced the S12III production to Shenzen Ruisengyuan Technology rather than building it in house. My best guess is that S12III is meant for developing/Asia/Africa countries.

Though, Seasonic has outsourced PSUs before, like XFX XT series. While Seasonic design, it was made by Hydance.

That relationship was different though. Hydance licensed an old Seasonic design to produce the XFX XT. XFX and Seasonic have no relationship other than Seasonic producing PSUs under contract for them. This is the first time something is going to have the Seasonic name and not be an actual Seasonic produced PSU.

I would agree on the developing country theory, except that you can buy an S12III at Newegg in the US.

Exactly. They are not Asian market products. Not exclusively at least. They are sold here since day one. This is the beginning of China punishing us for punishing them. Ok, I made that last part up, but somebody has to take the blame.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hydance (or Hydrance) is/was subsidiary of Seasonic, so, there's that connection as well.

The developing country theory would make most sense of that outsourcing while to gain additional sales, Seasonic also released that PSU to US market. S12III series isn't currently available in EU but there's this in the S12III specs page:
For customers in the EU, the scheduled launch of the S12III series is Q3 2019*. For more information about product availability, please contact your local Seasonic representative.
* Subject to change without prior notice.
source: https://seasonic.com/s12iii

Either that, or Seasonic has ran out of room in their own factory, hence why the S12III is outsourced.

Yeah, it's not an upgrade from the S12II.

The S12II units used all Japanese caps and higher end mosfets and rectifiers than the S12III uses. It was also designed, manufactured and assembled by Seasonic, which these are not. These are built by the same company who did the XFX XT and Super Flower B3 units, and those were terrible, horrific, horrible, and awful power supplies. So bad that Super Flower discontinued using them and brought the whole process home for in house manufacturing. Damage was done though. Nobody wants a B3 unit after seeing those reviews.

These, I suspect, aren't much better, but a REPUTABLE review from a known quantity would be a requirement in my book to even look seriously at them. I would not trust a Chinese or Taiwanese review site reviewing Chinese or Taiwanese manufactured products. Sorry, I just can't give them much credibility in that regard no matter how thorough the review might LOOK to be on the surface.

Plus, I'm not sure how anybody can take a new design serious in this day and age, when it is still largely group regulated and uses inferior components.

Viprex

BANNED
May 16, 2019
They are independently regulated through dual mag amp, unlike group regulation from the obsolete S12ii. This alone makes it a better option for modern systems as voltage regulation is significantly improved.

You don't trust any Chinese or Taiwanese reviews on power supplies, or pretty much any component for that matter? 99.9% of PSUs are manufactured in China.
That sort of racism coming from a moderator is disgusting.
Furthermore, the review is Vietnamese from a very reputable reviewer.

Racism is obnoxious and definitely not be seen in Tom's but I can't see any in that comment.
Chinese products, especially clones of other manufacturing countries' products, are well known for not coming up to scratch. No Chinese individual was condemned for his or her race in saying that or in the comments made above.

Viprex

BANNED
May 16, 2019
Chinese products, especially clones of other manufacturing countries' products, are well known for not coming up to scratch
Every PSU on the market basically is manufactured in China. Seasonics main factory is located in China. RSY is also in China.

You're being an intentional idiot. I didn't say ANYTHING like what you are insinuating. You can take your nonsense elsewhere or else clean up your act. Saying I don't trust component reviews OF Chinese products BY Chinese companies is a world apart from saying I don't trust Chinese products. I don't know who you think you are speaking down to like the village idiot, but I assure you that you're shaking your stick down the wrong path.

I assure you that racism plays no role in anything ANY moderator here posts. We wouldn't tolerate it amongst ourselves, much less take it public.

The fact that the unit has partially evolved away from group regulation doesn't make it better than the older units. There are FULL DC-DC units that I wouldn't choose over an S12II or M12II group regulated model simply due to component selection and build quality.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Anybody here knows about status of superflower PSUs . I don't see reviews of PSUs from that brand. Is it still popular?
Plenty of Super Flower unit reviews here,
link: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/Super-Flower/

Though, Super Flower isn't that busy releasing units under their own name as Seasonic is. Still, as RL said above, they do make PSUs for other brands as well. For other brands, besides EVGA, you can find Super Flower units from Rosewill lineup as well (Lightning, Capstone and Capstone Modular series).

TRENDING THREADS