Power Supply Efficiency vs Quality (Suggestions!)

BADSALAD9

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hello Tom-Men! (Tommy guns? Tom boys? Tom-Toms? I'll just call you "Forum Gods" from here on out, I promise)

I am here looking for some suggestions.

As most of the people on this forum that have a little extra money here and there, I built my original computer about a year ago and have been slowly upgrading it over the past year, and it's been a great time! Being a gamer and building computers as a hobby go hand and hand.

But I've always been stumped by one thing: Power supplies.

Obviously I need something that will match up to the amount of power my computer uses, if not far exceed the total amount that it needs. But, why is everyone all up in a fuss about their "Efficiency"?

Keep in mind, I live on the east side of Washington State, within 100 miles of 2-3 hydroelectric dams, and thus power here is such a low price that I could run 14 space heaters in my house at full blast for an entire month and I doubt my power bill would exceed $80, so power "Efficiency" is not something that I'm concerned about.

I am concerned, however, about quality.

So my question is this: If I'm upgrading to a 750W (as I'm planning on getting a 2nd videocard) does the power "Efficiency" change how well it will handle the amount of power my computer will pull? What's your suggestions for a power supply in my situation (I prefer something less than $120)?

I am here to learn from you my friends!

-------------------------------------------------------

Update:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9MhQFT

This is my current build (Minus one videocard, I added it just to make things easier to calculate, compatibility wise)

runs at ~510W with the upgrade, thus the upgrade to 750W.

We don't know your system!

my PERSONAL view is I don't care. For me, I pay so much else a month that the few hundred watts my PC pulls for the couple hours a night/few hours at weekend I use it heavily for gaming has no impact on my yearly bill. For that reason, I just pick good PSUs (Seasonic for e.g.) and go for Bronze.

the main thing is good brand, power that you need + about 30%, and good amps on the 12V rail.

bignastyid

Titan
Solution
Quality is vastly more important that efficiency. In your situation, you really dont need to care about the efficiency too much (low power bill).
The above 3 units are my exact recommendations as well. (I chose the B2 last year as it was on sale for 60)

BADSALAD9

Reputable
May 19, 2015