Power supply EVGA 650w P2 is making weird clicking sound when i turn off my computer

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Yeah so as the title says when i turn off my pc the psu seems to make a weird click sound for like a second its just a quick click like as it turns off it is definitely coming from the psu its worrying me as im not sure if this is an issue or just normal it does not sound like the fan blade as that was the issue i had with the last psu i had to rma and it sounded very different it is just like a click then the pc turns off no sound when i boot up just when i switch off. Is this normal i have sent a support ticket into EVGA again.... Thanks

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Agreed. The relays in the PSU can often have a click, indicating that the power to the coil is turned off. It is always wise to check with the manufacturer, but it does sound like normal operation.

Think of a relay like a swinging door on a spring hinge of 2 doorways. The door is always closed over 1 doorway because the spring holds it there. When power comes on, a magnet causes the door to swing to close the other doorway, leaving the original doorway open. When power is switched off, the spring pulls the door right back into the first position. The click is more like a "tiny door slam".

There are high quality components that manufacturers can use to reduce such noise, in some cases. But these other components may increase the overall cost, OR because the amperage being used, the size of the relay being used just cannot be quieted as easily. The latter is the more believable, but sometimes companies do go the cheaper route. Again, check with the manufacturer for best piece of mind.