Power supply exploded

Nov 15, 2018
Hi. Last night my power supply exploded and caused a power shortage in most of the house. I am pretty sure that it was only the power supply as I cant find anything that looks damaged on the motherboard, graphics card etc.. A lot of stuff in the PC has been upgraded - I believe that only the motherboard, CPU and PSU are the components which I have not replaced. How likely is it that the PSU damaged or fried other components? Its worth mentioning that the pc is about 7 years old, and thats the reason i believe the psu broke down as it had to keep up with newer components such as a GTX 970

What is the brand and model of the PSU?

As far as if it damaged anything, I doubt the CPU was damaged however the mobo and GPU could very well be. Only way would be to get a new PSU and fire it up.

The lesson to be learned is do not cheap out on the power supply, always buy a quality brand and also importantly model, since many name brands produce absolute junk.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Yeah only testing will tell. I had a cheap PSU I was testing old hardware with blow and take out a monitor, graphics card, motherboard, a USB flash drive, and a USB mouse. That is probably about as bad as it gets lol.

Hopefully yours was more graceful, but everything connected is potentially at risk. All I salvaged out of the machine above was a hard drive and the CPU and RAM.

g-unit1111

Titan

It's entirely possible that it could have, especially if you were using your PC at the time it happened. As was said there's no way to really tell if it happened without properly testing your motherboard. You can order power testers from Amazon or Newegg and they're around the $30 - $50 range.

bignastyid

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from fc-casper56 : "Power supply exploded"