Question Power supply exploded

Nov 30, 2019
My cpu couldn't open, and i thought it was because of not cleaning it for over 3 months. After i cleaned it, i opened my cpu and it still didnt open, im not an expert of fixing or cleaning cpu, but when i looked at the power supply, there was an option of either number 230 and 115, it was 230 and i thought that was the problem. So i changed it to 115, and when i tried opening my cpu, power supply immediately exploded and i was scared to open it again. I assume i selected the highest voltage and it exploded because of that. If not, can someone explain why it exploded? It was an cooler master rs 460, quite old.

the 230V and 115V is the power getting in your house controlled by the electrical panel. Depending on your house it could be 230V or 115V. Here is some comments from a forum.

"in different houses your computer room may only be 115V, as mine is. Some places it's 230V, it depends on your house. Check your electrical diagram for your house, and see what voltage is supplied to the room you have your computer in. Phew for checking mine before leaving my brand new Enermax on 230V, as default. If you select the wrong voltage the capacitors will...I don't want to say explode "

"Well, I don't know what kind of PSU you are using Veh, but according to the way most are designed, having it switched to 115v and using a 230v line would fry it."

Sorry for the bad news. Switching from 230 to 115 totally blew it up and maybe it fried some parts inside your case too.

Reactions: ChinEthan
In most cases the voltage depends on what voltage is used in your country, no so much on in which house you live. If you don't know the voltage in your country, check the link above.

Also, PSUs with a voltage switch haven't been made by any reliable manufacturer for years, since they are prohibited in many parts of the world.

In most cases the voltage depends on what voltage is used in your country, no so much on in which house you live. If you don't know the voltage in your country, check the link above.

Also, PSUs with a voltage switch haven't been made by any reliable manufacturer for years, since they are prohibited in many parts of the world.

What about country with both? No. Check at the house to be sure. A quick look at the electrical panel can easily show you if you're using 230 or 115. His PSU had the switch...maybe he is living in a country with both.

Nov 30, 2019
the 230V and 115V is the power getting in your house controlled by the electrical panel. Depending on your house it could be 230V or 115V. Here is some comments from a forum.

"in different houses your computer room may only be 115V, as mine is. Some places it's 230V, it depends on your house. Check your electrical diagram for your house, and see what voltage is supplied to the room you have your computer in. Phew for checking mine before leaving my brand new Enermax on 230V, as default. If you select the wrong voltage the capacitors will...I don't want to say explode "

"Well, I don't know what kind of PSU you are using Veh, but according to the way most are designed, having it switched to 115v and using a 230v line would fry it."

Sorry for the bad news. Switching from 230 to 115 totally blew it up and maybe it fried some parts inside your case too.
I checked and nothing was fried, so in that case, does just changing my power supply fix everything? And about the explosion, it didnt explode inside, there are holes behind the power supply and when it exploded i saw the explosion coming out of the holes and did no damage inside. For the house electrical panel, can i know where is to check the voltage?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

There’s really no telling if anything got damaged when it blew up you will have to install a new power supply and test it