[SOLVED] Power Supply Failing ?

Nov 13, 2020
Hi, im hoping someone can help me as my issue is driving me crazy. Ive searched all over the internet but getting nothing close to my problem. When my PC is not under load the power supply cuts out and machine restarts.

If i leave my computer on the desktop with nothing running it will restart randomly several times throughout.
But as soon as I start a game or run something power intensive my computer works perfectly fine.

I also cant switch my PC off, instead of shutting down it turns itself back on after 5 seconds.

The only way i can use my computer right now is to run a game in the background and do my usual day to day tasks, otherwise i will never know when it might next restart.

This all started when i replaced my hdd's with ssd's but even after switching back the issue continues. Its an old Thermaltake toughpower 800w, about 14 years old. Ive opened it up but cant see anything obvious or any blown caps. Its also strange that it works fine when under load, so not sure what could cause this. In event log it says kernal power failure every time it restarts

Solution
Have already reinstalled windows several times with no difference. I have noticed that when USB devices are connected it happens more often. I thought it may be a short circuit so disconnected all the expansion slots but it's made no difference. Motherboard itself is new, only had it for 5 months although it's an old model socket 1150.

I guess I might start with replacing the PSU, but decent ones are so expensive these days and I don't even know for sure if it's the problem.
It really doesn't matter if the power supply is the problem. You need to replace it anyways. Its age alone calls its dependability and safety into question. At such an advanced age you really have no way of knowing if the protective circuitry is working...

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I have a feeling that this might be a software problem. And even if it's a hardware problem, it could be the motherboard, not the PSU.

I'd first try to eliminate software as a cause because that's pretty easy to do and free. You said you have replaced your HD with an SSD. OK, so take that discarded HD, put it back in, take the SSD out, and re-install Windows from scratch. That'll give you a definitive answer on software.

A 14 year old psu is a disaster waiting to happen. If you value the pc or cannot be without out it upgrade to a new psu. A psu can fail with no prior warning signs and at 14 years it is well past its best.

However from your description especially not being able to switch off the pc I would be more inclined to think a motherboard problem. This doesn’t sound like a software problem to me, that reboot is triggered by the BIOS/motherboard which is way before Windows.

Nov 13, 2020
Have already reinstalled windows several times with no difference. I have noticed that when USB devices are connected it happens more often. I thought it may be a short circuit so disconnected all the expansion slots but it's made no difference. Motherboard itself is new, only had it for 5 months although it's an old model socket 1150.

I guess I might start with replacing the PSU, but decent ones are so expensive these days and I don't even know for sure if it's the problem.

It really doesn't matter if the power supply is the problem. You need to replace it anyways. Its age alone calls its dependability and safety into question. At such an advanced age you really have no way of knowing if the protective circuitry is working or not. If you list your detailed system specs a recommendation for a good quality model in your budget range can be made.

Last edited:
Solution