Question Power Supply Failing

Mar 5, 2022
I was in the middle of a game, when suddenly my PC shut off. (Very rarely but sometimes my display would go black for a few seconds and whatever programs I had open would crash, I believed this had something to do with my GPU?) When I tried to turn my PC back on, I could only get as far as the Windows log in screen, before my computer shut it self off again. The LEDs on my keyboard and mouse weren't turning on either, the only things that were working was my display and fans. After a third time of restarting my computer, it would not turn on at all, the only thing running were the fans. I don't know whether this is an issue with the PSU or any of my other parts? I have a Corsair RM750i, I've only had it for about 3 years.

[UPDATE] I replugged everything and let my PC run overnight. In the morning when I tried it again, it worked. I use my PC for at least 8+ hours a day and this almost never happens. I can't exactly pinpoint what went wrong but I'll have to get it checked out.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022
What’s the full pc spec?
It may be hard to diagnose the faulty part without swapping parts. Do you have a spare psu to try?
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
XFX RADEON RX6600 8 GB

I don't have a spare PSU on hand, but I'm in the process of ordering another.

Unplug the psu from the wall, then try again.

Open an RMA incident with Corsair.
Your unit should have a 10 year warranty.

Since you may be dead in the water, it is reasonable to buy a replacement in the interim.
Corsair rm is a good unit.
But, I might look for 850/950w in anticipation of much higher performing graphics cards coming.
Look for a quality replacement with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus or corsair rm series are a good place to start with.

Mar 5, 2022
Exactly, if cutting power off helps the PSU to start (flipping switch or even unplugging it from wall outlet) rather than starting from standby mode, sometimes can indicate it's failing.

I didn't mean it's absolutely your PSU. It just looks more likely from what you described.

I will definitely try that out, thank you!