Power supply failure?

Triggerwizzard

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi guys,

I have upgraded my PC with a new Mobo, CPU, RAM, case and water cooler.The only thing i haven't upgraded is my PSU and graphics card and SSD's.

So i put her all together and she booted fine, had a run through the bios and everything looked in order, i installed a fresh copy of windows 7, it installed fine and i started installing all of the mobo drivers, had one restart and that was fine. Installed a few more drivers, had a restart and then boom nothing was coming up on screen and i have no power going to my mouse and keyboard, all i can hear is the fans spinning in my case and the front power LED's are not even lit up.

I pulled out the plug and left it a few minuets and tried to boot again, this time i swear the fans sounded like they were spinning slower than they were before, so would this be a power supply failure? its a 4 year old 1000w cooler master. And the new components i have are MOBO = msi z87-G45, CPU = i5 4670k, RAM = 8gb geil 1866hz potenza, and a corsair h60 watercooler with a corsair 750d case.

Hope you guys can help.

TomatoSlap

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
This sort of happened to me. Try reseting the CMOS battery. It will reset the bios. There should be a round battery on the mobo which you could take out for 15 min approx then put it back in. Check the cables too. But look up how to do it all on yt if you're uncertain!

Triggerwizzard

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Its a cooler master RS-A00-esba, 1000w power supply, and also if i somehow can get into the bios, what am i disabling? i can remember seeing a option to use enable to new power regulations of 2012 or something? anything else?

Triggerwizzard

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Just removed the CMOS battery for 15 mins, tried it again and it still the same but now the fans are hardly spinning and the mobo light is just a dim flicker, so i turned it off pretty much instantly as i don't want to risk the CPU overheating, this must definitely be a buggered PSU, damn -_-

Yes it definitely sounds like your unit is kaput.
You did alright considering that unit was produced in 2007.

Triggerwizzard

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Bloody hell is that how long its been? not bad at all i guess. I've just purchased a new corsair PSU, the CX750M for £75 which should see me over until i think about getting a SLI system running, it should be okay running a GTX 780?

Yes it will run your gear including one GTX 780 fine.

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Literally just found this thread, as ive got the exact same power supply which may be going "Nah" at a new gpu..system dies when any games get too intense so the theory is the psu isnt pumping enough power to the gpu card when its needed, though while testing this theory, which didnt seem to work, the system now can't detect/read one of my hdd's! Yay!
If it is the psu failing though, 10-12 years of daily, heavy use arent bad!