Power Supply failure

iampowerslave

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004
Hi Guys. New in the forum, old in computers.

Where the first thing I want to point you out is that here in Argentina is very hard to find good PSUs.

The problem is that we have a computer we use as a cluster to process data, sometimes takes days to end. I have found the computer hanged (in weird states) a couple of times and twice it was rebooted (one time I know it has been a power problem since another computer was also found in the same state).

Another time I was giving a course and the computer just re-booted itself (and it had not that much load, and we had a/c so there was not a high ambient temp).

It looks too much as the TAGAN source power failure in the stress test THG published a couple of days ago.

Also I have found that if I hold the computer case still and I punch it (with the hand, and not THAT hard), the computer turns itself off and won't start again unless it's turned off from the power supply or unplugged for a couple of seconds (and it doesn't say SLAM TILT! :0) ).

So it seems to be the power source, which is a fake (cheap) 500W, with 2 fans, one in the normal place and another in front of it, bolted in the outside.

Does someone have any idea if the PSU is resposible for this and if this could be a bad soldered component or, does anyone know about this behavior generalized on many cheap PSUs.?

Best regards and Merry Xmas.

David.

dicobalt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
same thing would happen to me, i had a enermax 350, it was an old one so it wasnt as good as the newer models. sometimes i had to unplug the power cord from the outlet and flip the switch on the psu a few times, then it would turn on. sometimes the computer would make a crazy sound and turn off and back on by itself also. i think i have weird power problems, i live in south florida where we have terrible power. i have been through an enermax 350, a vantec 520, and now i have a new vantec 520 as it was replaced by warranty. i decided to go out and get a nice big UPS to clear up the power, got uptimes as long as it takes microsoft to patch their os lol

iampowerslave

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004
Thanks for your input.

I have an UPS at home, national brand, it's way good... it could keep my computer up to 15 minutes with a Viewsonic G790 one IDE, one SCSI and 2 external SCSI, plus CD-ROM.

But at work my boss is not going to buy an UPS. (I hope I can convince the guy)

My PC is up 24/7 with emule and Folding@home (folding.stanford.edu).

I had to buy it since my bro. has a 4400 cal, A/C, monofasic, and when the motor starts, voltage goes to hell.

I would recommend everyone to have an UPS, with good filtering.