Power supply fan not working?

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Long story below :) short version my pritty sure my PSU fan isnt working. Idk how long it has been like.this. but PC is overheating and shuting off now.
Also o have a bunch of fans in case, all.tprn on when power gors.on. PSU fan does not move at all ever. so i asume its that.
Should i try for waranty, manul repair? Just wate for weather to cool down?

Hello everyone. So about 2.5 years ago i started my new pc build.
I got a corsair RM850 PSU new from amazon.
It worked great (powered up pc fine) and this is a few years back now so.i dont exactly remember, but i think in supper when it was realy hot my pc would just shutdown randomy. And instantly. I asumed this was just general overheating. So i stoped useing it untill the weather copoled down.
However this has started hapening again
Granted it is summer agian.and hot as f*&k. But this time i decided to look into it a bit more. I discovered that both my CPU and GPU where running at max 70 degrees C. That is very acceptible. I drew the conclusin that the PSU was likley the issue.

Solution
Hello aryan826!

So i just looked it up on the corsair homepage....The corsair RM850 got a Zero RPM Fanmode!

If you dont use more than 40% of the watts the PSU can provide, it turns the fan off automatically!
So if your PC doesnt need more than something around 340 Watts.. the fan wont turn on...

In addition corsair PSU's normally got at least 5 years warranty... so if you still think it is the PSU just send it back

Greetz Memphisto

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hello aryan826!

So i just looked it up on the corsair homepage....The corsair RM850 got a Zero RPM Fanmode!

If you dont use more than 40% of the watts the PSU can provide, it turns the fan off automatically!
So if your PC doesnt need more than something around 340 Watts.. the fan wont turn on...

In addition corsair PSU's normally got at least 5 years warranty... so if you still think it is the PSU just send it back

Greetz Memphisto

Solution

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Yeah i saw the thing abiut ni fan mode. It sais the fan shiuls still soin when turning on though and shiumd then turn off. Also i have strrss teste it with some demanding stuff, games and stuff and it still never turned on.
I am working wih amazon about gwting a return or refund:)

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017

Thats true its very often the PSU, but not always...
I had one time (it was my 2nd time building a PC many years ago) where i thought i did everything right....
The PC also ran perfectly for 2 days... but after that he started to just randomly reboot and i just couldnt find out why...

In the end i did put so much Thermalpaste on the CPU that it ran down into the socket... the TP was non conductive so it only blocked connection....
cleaned it out and then everything worked again :)

Greetz

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017

Shure!
If you still have warranty it would always be the first thing to try :)
Thats also why i bought myself an way to overkill PSU for my Setup

Seasonic SSR-850TD
For an 7700k on a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX with a MSI GTX 1080 Founders.... Maximum i ever drew with OC and Prime95+Graphics benchmark at the same time was 400 Watts