Question Power supply fan revs for no reason at start.

Feb 6, 2020
It revs up when i start my computer (fully start or from hibernation). Then gradually slows down to normal. But sometimes it stays a notch above normal.
I know its not an heating issue cause same behaviour happened with earlier power supply hence i changed it; also it revs up at the start when circuits are the coldest.

One cure is (sometimes) to make computer sleep for a few minutes. When i turn it on the fan speed is normal.

Is it a virus? Na, it started occuring after I changed the system insides (new CPU, MB, HDD, RAM). Although it has an older HDD as well but it didn't happen with older setup. Also It is happening even if i am at BIOS interface.

System Specifications:
  1. AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
  2. Gigabyte a320m-s2h
  3. Kingston SDD
  4. Another older HDD
  5. 8 GB RAM.
  6. Windows 10.
  7. PSU is Zebronics Zeb 450. Stock PSU.

Last edited:
While every PSU is different, some will go full RPM at boot and some won't depending on the load.
Your PC draws more power for a couple of seconds at boot and you can change that for the CPU in bios but its not recommended. If the issue started after upgrading components, its most likely that your new components need more power.

Feb 6, 2020
While every PSU is different, some will go full RPM at boot and some won't depending on the load.
Your PC draws more power for a couple of seconds at boot and you can change that for the CPU in bios but its not recommended. If the issue started after upgrading components, its most likely that your new components need more power.

I would've thought that, but it should happen everytime and should happen from the get go of starting with new components. That is not the case, for the earlier PSU [which was there when new components were installed] it took more than a week.

For this PSU, which I changed, it took about 2 months after installing to start revving at startup. Also, this being winter, it cannot be the temperature as the temperature hasn't changed for the system from when it was starting up normally.

I would've thought that, but it should happen everytime and should happen from the get go of starting with new components. That is not the case, for the earlier PSU [which was there when new components were installed] it took more than a week.

For this PSU, which I changed, it took about 2 months after installing to start revving at startup. Also, this being winter, it cannot be the temperature as the temperature hasn't changed for the system from when it was starting up normally.
What you can do and considering your PSU is of questionable quality, get a CX450 for 30$ from Newegg or a CX550 for 70$ from Corsair.

Feb 6, 2020
What you can do and considering your PSU is of questionable quality, get a CX450 for 30$ from Newegg or a CX550 for 70$ from Corsair.

I have ordered something seeing this problem isn't going away. But the problem isn't PSU specific hence will come again with the new PSU, but we will see.

Feb 6, 2020
Which PSU did you order, I can only recommend the following:
Seasonic Focus/Prime and Corsair CX/TX/RM.

Not as costly. But again, the problem isn't that the system is taking too much energy, it never does for the work I do or game I play. I don't overclock either. It's a problem specific to the setup I have.

For now the system is fine cause I got it to sleep mode then awoke it.

CPU fans do this sometimes too.

This is sometimes to run a system check and also to protect against heat soak restart issues. (If computer shuts down hot, last thing you want to do is start the fan in slow mode as the PSU is already hot.) A quick blast not only checks the fan but also helps remove heat soaked air.

YoFavRussian

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
I really don't think it's anything to worry about, most PCs that I have ever done any work to will have a loud fan noise at startup. It is only for a couple of seconds and then it dies off, I would excuse this as normal behavior at boot of a PC. CPU and power supply fans that I've had all do it.

Feb 6, 2020
Another solution (apart from sleeping the computer) is to put a toothpick in the fan (somebody commented on reddit to that effect). The fan goes silent, but the affect remains only for 3-4 seconds :(