[SOLVED] Power supply fan speed

May 30, 2021
So i changed the motherboard on my parents computer i put Gigabyte GA-H61M-SP2 motherboard and i noticed the psu is really loud,the fan speed keeps changing ,it even gets louder when i try to game on it and when i exit the game its back to normal.If anyone else had this motherboard can you tell me where can i change the psu fan speed,its on full power when i turn on the pc? I put mission q 500 w power supply,i cleaned it and even put some greese on the fan but that didn't help,its just a humming noise coming from the fan.

Solution
Its just it gets really loud sometimes and i thought i can myb fix it by changing the fan speed.And i probably need to get a better case for this pc it only has one fan on the back.
You can't change the fan speed on that power supply.
Changing the case should be easy, what to get depends on all the parts used like how many drives, CD/DVD player used, video card, CPU cooler since everything must fit in a new case.

For the power supply itself it's a standard ATX.

EDIT the best buy for what you have would depend on where you live, all the parts being used, and where you can buy from as product prices very a bunch depending on location.
May 30, 2021
That's a standard motherboard so yes you can use a better power supply.

The noise gets louder when the power draw goes up to cool the power supply at least it's working like it should.
Its just it gets really loud sometimes and i thought i can myb fix it by changing the fan speed.And i probably need to get a better case for this pc it only has one fan on the back.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Changing the case should be easy, what to get depends on all the parts used like how many drives, CD/DVD player used, video card, CPU cooler since everything must fit in a new case.

EDIT the best buy for what you have would depend on where you live, all the parts being used, and where you can buy from as product prices very a bunch depending on location.

Solution
May 30, 2021

Intel i5 2400 processor,nvidia gtx 1050ti,1 tb hdd and 8 gb or ram,Its not the best but its still good.I will be looking for a new power supply soon..and a case.Thanks for you help

Your parts are decent and balanced for what they are.
The power you need is primarily driven by the graphics card you use.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
As you can see, a GTX1050ti is not power hungry and can use as little as a 350w PSU.
I would not buy minimum.
Do not go cheap on a psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

A stronger, quality psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty can support some very strong future upgrades.
It turns out that the incremental cost of a stronger psu is not that great.
For example, a gold rated Seasonic Core GM-500 with a 7 year warranty is $75
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-core-series-core-gm-500-500w/p/N82E16817151242
but the 550w version is only $10 more, and the 650w version is $15 more.
Here is one psu quality tier list:

On the case, look for a case with decent front intake capability.
Two 120/140mm front intakes can cool almost anything.
If the intakes have filters, your parts will stay cleaner.
It need not be expensive.
And, looks count.
You will be looking at the case for a long time.

Your motherboard size is MATX so any case that is not a mini ITX will fit.
Here is a popular fractal design focus G for $55.
It comes in different colors:
https://www.newegg.com/petrol-blue-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352073

Reactions: Sewen24

Latest posts