Question Power supply for an XFX RX 7600 XT GPU ?

May 28, 2024
Hi, I have recently built a new PC with the following components:

-Ryzen 5600X
-XFX RX 7600 XT 16 GB
-MSI B550M PRO VDH (no wifi)
-Gigabyte P650B 650 watt 80+ bronze
-Windows 11 Pro 23H2

However, i think i made a mistake when i bought the power supply, because it makes a lot of noise as if it's struggling to deliver power and work at full throttle when i'm playing at ultra graphics quality. I was told that this model of graphics card consumes about the same as an RTX 4070. I tested it with my old RX 570 4GB card and didn't have the problem i mentioned. I also had a screen freeze while playing a few days ago and my PC shut down twice.

Now that i'm testing my old graphics card, the power supply doesn't sound like it does with the RX 7600 XT and i haven't had any shutdowns or screen freezes either. At first i thought it was my new video card, but after testing with my old video card i'm assuming it's the power supply. Every time my computer shut down, a white light came on on my card, indicating VGA. And when i wasn't playing games and using my PC for basic tasks, the noise from the power supply was very low and my PC didn't shut down. I should also mention that the RX 7600 XT only goes up to 60°C at 100% capacity, it doesn't go any higher. XFX's website states that you need a 600W power supply for this card.

Last edited:
Even the pig of a 4090 does not draw 600 watts. You could load hwinfo and see what the cpu and gpu were actually using and then add a bit more for everything else that hwinfo does not see.

If I remember correctly the 7600xt uses less than 200 watts. The reason they recommend larger power supplies is the cards can pull extremely short spikes of power at higher watts. The CPU is something like 65 or 80 I forget.

From what it seems your power supply does meet the minimum requirements. Depends on how much safety margin they built into that recommendation....likely a lot.

The only thing that makes noise on a power supply should be the fan. The fans on my power supply actually are off most the time only coming on as load gets higher. Maybe the fan is defective or maybe it is just a loud fan.

What I would do is watch hwinfo both for the power and the temps. I would then run one of the GPU benchmark programs so your gpu should pull maximum power. If it doesn't crash running a benchmark for a while it likely won't crash doing normal stuff.
It would be really nice if the power supply itself could talk to hwinfo and tell you if it was having issues putting out the power. Generally you would see a drop in the voltage on the 12 volt power if stuff was trying to use too much. I doubt it, I suspect even with the cpu and gpu max you might be using 300 watts.

Reactions: artk2219
May 28, 2024
Even the pig of a 4090 does not draw 600 watts. You could load hwinfo and see what the cpu and gpu were actually using and then add a bit more for everything else that hwinfo does not see.

If I remember correctly the 7600xt uses less than 200 watts. The reason they recommend larger power supplies is the cards can pull extremely short spikes of power at higher watts. The CPU is something like 65 or 80 I forget.

From what it seems your power supply does meet the minimum requirements. Depends on how much safety margin they built into that recommendation....likely a lot.

The only thing that makes noise on a power supply should be the fan. The fans on my power supply actually are off most the time only coming on as load gets higher. Maybe the fan is defective or maybe it is just a loud fan.

What I would do is watch hwinfo both for the power and the temps. I would then run one of the GPU benchmark programs so your gpu should pull maximum power. If it doesn't crash running a benchmark for a while it likely won't crash doing normal stuff.
It would be really nice if the power supply itself could talk to hwinfo and tell you if it was having issues putting out the power. Generally you would see a drop in the voltage on the 12 volt power if stuff was trying to use too much. I doubt it, I suspect even with the cpu and gpu max you might be using 300 watts.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I will try what you suggest. I've been reviewing other posts on the forum and some users report cases similar to mine, one of them talks about having connected the pci-e cable to the graphic but from a single output I think they say daisy chained cable and just as I had it connected to the graphic. Does this have something to do with the problem I have? For example Seasonic recommends to place the cables separately and not together in a single cable.

In this image I only have one 8 pin connected to my old graphics card, but with the rx 7600 xt, I had the other 8 pin connector connected and I have read that this is counterproductive in graphics cards that consume a lot of power.

It generally doesn't matter as long as the cable is designed to work that way.

In the power supply itself all the 12volt wires are hooked to the same voltage regulator system. It really doesn't matter if you were to use 1 thick wire or 2 thinner ones. As long as the wires are the proper size to carry the proper number of amps it will work.

What cables like this generally do is use thicker wire between the power supply and the first connector and then use thinner wire for the second....some use the same thicker wire for both plugs. Overall it is cheaper to run thicker wires than have 2 separate cables with thinner wire.

The ones you have to watch out for are some of the really cheap direct ship from china brands. They use the thinner wire and just put 2 connectors on it.

Reactions: DS426

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
XFX's website states that you need a 600W power supply for this card.
This is for a full system not for just the gpu, but that Gigabyte isn't the best quality.

Does this have something to do with the problem I have? For example Seasonic recommends to place the cables separately and not together in a single cable.

In this image I only have one 8 pin connected to my old graphics card, but with the rx 7600 xt, I had the other 8 pin connector connected and I have read that this is counterproductive in graphics cards that consume a lot of power.
There is nothing counter productive about using two cables instead of one, just better practice.

Since you're 7600 XT is drawing more power than the 570 use two cables (first connector of each) see if it helps. If not might it be wise to see if you can still return the Gigabyte psu and get something better.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
May 28, 2024
This is for a full system not for just the gpu, but that Gigabyte isn't the best quality.

There is nothing counter productive about using two cables instead of one, just better practice.

Since you're 7600 XT is drawing more power than the 570 use two cables (first connector of each) see if it helps. If not might it be wise to see if you can still return the Gigabyte psu and get something better.
Yes, I'm going to try connecting the pci-e cables separately and see how it goes. As for the power supply, a friend also told me that this Gigabyte model is not very good, it is a Tier C and told me that I better get another one that is Tier A (my brother also has a gigabyte psu model P550B and it is a tier D, but he has it connected to a msi rtx gaming 3060 12 GB. It uses an 8-pin pci-e connector and other 4-pin connectors. I guess that graphics card doesn't consume too much power and he plays AAA titles at 1080p).

On the other hand, checking other forums and websites, I have seen other users with more powerful cards like a rx 7800 xt or rx 7900 xt which use more powerful sources that the recommended minimum, for example the case of a user who was going to buy a rx 7700 xt but at least asked for a psu of 650 W (if I remember correctly) but was recommended to go for a source of even 850 W. On another page I also found power supply recommendations. In the specific case of the rx 7600 xt it said something like "600 W power supply for average use". As I understand it, that average is when you are not going to stress the graphics card or the computer in general too much. The rx 7600 xt has a tdp of 192 W and the normal version has 165 W and asked for at least 550 watts of power supply. Let's say it's almost close to 200 watts tdp which is quite a lot

May 28, 2024
System power usage i not just about he gpu, the cpu (and other parts) have something to do with it too. You use a 5600X which doesn't consume that much power like for instance a 13900K would. Just want to say that for your system as is a good quality 650watt would be fine.
I was thinking about what you said, about a good quality psu. I saw a list of psu's and the psu I have is in Tier C, I think I will buy a Tier A psu. I will reconnect my rx 7600 xt.

Pd: my brother has a gigabyte P550B (550W) with a ryzen 5600g and a msi rtx 3060 12gb gaming, and he hasn't had any problems, even though that psu is listed as Tier D.

I was thinking about what you said, about a good quality psu. I saw a list of psu's and the psu I have is in Tier C, I think I will buy a Tier A psu. I will reconnect my rx 7600 xt.

Pd: my brother has a gigabyte P550B (550W) with a ryzen 5600g and a msi rtx 3060 12gb gaming, and he hasn't had any problems, even though that psu is listed as Tier D.
Agree with @Vic 40 here. Quality versus quantity (watts). There are many decent PSU's out there.

Corsair TXM/RMi/RMx/RMe, Seasonic Focus GX, Superflower Leadex III EVGA G5/G6 among many others. Most of these come with 7-10 year warranties. These are the ones you want. They will last you your next build too.

Reactions: DS426
May 28, 2024
Agree with @Vic 40 here. Quality versus quantity (watts). There are many decent PSU's out there.

Corsair TXM/RMi/RMx/RMe, Seasonic Focus GX, Superflower Leadex III EVGA G5/G6 among many others. Most of these come with 7-10 year warranties. These are the ones you want. They will last you your next build too.
What do you think of this MSI MPG A750G power supply? Or maybe I should choose the A850G?

May 28, 2024
That is a decent PSU.
Your PC probably draws about 350/360 watts under full load.
And on the other hand, is it normal for my graphics card to sound loud while I'm playing? I read that it is normal when you are playing a very demanding game or with high and/or ultra graphics settings and at high framerates as in my case at 144 Hz (frequency of my monitor). I was playing euro truck simulator 2 at ultra graphics, and when I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz there was no loud sound and I did it also by lowering the graphics settings of the game to low, medium and high, and the graphics card did not sound. So, even if I buy a high end PSU, my video card will still play. I don't like that loud sound because I'm afraid that something will happen or my pc will shut down and that's very annoying and ruins the gaming experience.

The graphics card sounds loud, and in this picture the temperature only reaches 60°C and doesn't go above that.​
In this video I recorded where you can hear how it sounds and you can hear that sound called coil whine. I think it also has to do with the PSU, it seems to me that the graphics card is one of those very demanding graphics at energy level, and also, it heats up a lot. With my previous graphics cards, it didn't sound like that, no matter how much stress I put on them.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The higher the temp of the card the faster the fans spin to keep it cool.

From what you said and the picture 99% of the video card with 137FPS so you set that to 60 now your video card was only running about 45%.

For coil whine you can buy 2 of the same cards and one has it and one don't.

From this that game is easy to run.
RECOMMENDED
  • Processor: Quad Core CPU 3.0 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 760-class (2 GB)
  • Hard Drive: 7 GB available space

May 28, 2024
The higher the temp of the card the faster the fans spin to keep it cool.

From what you said and the picture 99% of the video card with 137FPS so you set that to 60 now your video card was only running about 45%.

For coil whine you can buy 2 of the same cards and one has it and one don't.

From this that game is easy to run.
RECOMMENDED
  • Processor: Quad Core CPU 3.0 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 760-class (2 GB)
  • Hard Drive: 7 GB available space
I am very confused. A few minutes ago I was trying to play at 120hz and the pc turned off but everything was still on. Only on the board was a white light that said VGA. I don't know if it's a problem with the power supply which is not supplying enough power to the graphics card or if it's the video card that is failing. I'm about to throw the pc away. I know that the more Hz of the monitor the more power the video card needs and this in turn will require more power from where to get it to work better. This is the first time I have had this problem, I have never had it with my previous pc.

Hi, I have recently built a new PC with the following components:

-Ryzen 5600X
-XFX RX 7600 XT 16 GB
-MSI B550M PRO VDH (no wifi)
-Gigabyte P650B 650 watt 80+ bronze
-Windows 11 Pro 23H2

However, i think i made a mistake when i bought the power supply, because it makes a lot of noise as if it's struggling to deliver power and work at full throttle when i'm playing at ultra graphics quality. I was told that this model of graphics card consumes about the same as an RTX 4070. I tested it with my old RX 570 4GB card and didn't have the problem i mentioned. I also had a screen freeze while playing a few days ago and my PC shut down twice.

Now that i'm testing my old graphics card, the power supply doesn't sound like it does with the RX 7600 XT and i haven't had any shutdowns or screen freezes either. At first i thought it was my new video card, but after testing with my old video card i'm assuming it's the power supply. Every time my computer shut down, a white light came on on my card, indicating VGA. And when i wasn't playing games and using my PC for basic tasks, the noise from the power supply was very low and my PC didn't shut down. I should also mention that the RX 7600 XT only goes up to 60°C at 100% capacity, it doesn't go any higher. XFX's website states that you need a 600W power supply for this card.

That power supply is a fire hazard there where many of these gigabyte PSUs exploding

View: https://youtu.be/7JmPUr-BeEM?feature=shared

I wouldn't trust a gigabyte PSU if you paid me.

I am very confused. A few minutes ago I was trying to play at 120hz and the pc turned off but everything was still on. Only on the board was a white light that said VGA. I don't know if it's a problem with the power supply which is not supplying enough power to the graphics card or if it's the video card that is failing. I'm about to throw the pc away. I know that the more Hz of the monitor the more power the video card needs and this in turn will require more power from where to get it to work better. This is the first time I have had this problem, I have never had it with my previous pc.

Do not turn on that pc till you replace the PSU.

If you have with MSI one should be fine it's not the greatest PSU but better then budget.

May 28, 2024
I thought it might also be a driver problem, but nope. The same thing keeps happening to me. I've called the shop to check the warranty and have them check the graphics card, and tell me if it's the graphics card that's the problem or not. If I had another pc at home I would try to rule out that it was the video card (I'm starting to believe that the graphics card is the problem). I have checked other cases on the internet of people who have the same video card and have had no problems even if they are using a 650 W power supply. Even people with rx 7800 xt with 650W supplies and have had zero problems.

I thought it might also be a driver problem, but nope. The same thing keeps happening to me. I've called the shop to check the warranty and have them check the graphics card, and tell me if it's the graphics card that's the problem or not. If I had another pc at home I would try to rule out that it was the video card (I'm starting to believe that the graphics card is the problem). I have checked other cases on the internet of people who have the same video card and have had no problems even if they are using a 650 W power supply. Even people with rx 7800 xt with 650W supplies and have had zero problems.

the issue is the psu is unreliable doesnt matter if the psu says 650w not every 650w psu is equal.

7600xt isnt a big power draw card but if the psu is unstable and you turn it on you will damage a component either the card or the cpu because op protection fails on these gigabyte psu. and will explode.

these units had issues during the pandemic gigabyte was short on usual components and switched out some of the components for cheaper alternatives or whatever the could get on hand.

this is why there are alot of walking bombs still floating around stock wise.

if you have a spare pc on hand with a decent psu try running the card on that.

but i will bet the psu is the culprit.

other thing to do is update your bios make sure your cpu is fully supported as some b550 need updating

May 28, 2024
the issue is the psu is unreliable doesnt matter if the psu says 650w not every 650w psu is equal.

7600xt isnt a big power draw card but if the psu is unstable and you turn it on you will damage a component either the card or the cpu because op protection fails on these gigabyte psu. and will explode.

these units had issues during the pandemic gigabyte was short on usual components and switched out some of the components for cheaper alternatives or whatever the could get on hand.

this is why there are alot of walking bombs still floating around stock wise.

if you have a spare pc on hand with a decent psu try running the card on that.

but i will bet the psu is the culprit.

other thing to do is update your bios make sure your cpu is fully supported as some b550 need updating
Thanks for answering :) my question is if having used that gigabyte power supply these days might have affected my gpu? Because yesterday it turned off while testing (playing) but everything was on, the case fans, gpu and cpu, keyboard and mouse light on, but there was no image. That is my fear that this source has affected the gpu. On the other hand, I have updated the motherboard bios to the penultimate version, as the "latest" version is a beta.

I have an Antec 650 watts Earthwatts series power supply which I bought in 2012, I was thinking of trying it but I'm afraid that something worse will really happen because this power supply has a long time of use.

Pd: With my gigabyte RX 570 4gb I have had no shutdown problems using the graphics card at full power and I didn't even have that coil whine sound.

Thanks for answering :) my question is if having used that gigabyte power supply these days might have affected my gpu? Because yesterday it turned off while testing (playing) but everything was on, the case fans, gpu and cpu, keyboard and mouse light on, but there was no image. That is my fear that this source has affected the gpu. On the other hand, I have updated the motherboard bios to the penultimate version, as the "latest" version is a beta.

I have an Antec 650 watts Earthwatts series power supply which I bought in 2012, I was thinking of trying it but I'm afraid that something worse will really happen because this power supply has a long time of use.

Pd: With my gigabyte RX 570 4gb I have had no shutdown problems using the graphics card at full power and I didn't even have that coil whine sound.

if its the antec earth watts psu i remember that is a duel rail i wouldnt use it its quite old and duel rail psu can be a bit problematic if it pulls to much from 1 rail it could kill the psu.

the gpu might be fine it may have killed the board first. in some cases it can be obvious with swollen motherboard caps.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7a3bf539beb9769164e61af343ca9b5e-lq

even if all the lights are on doesnt really mean jack. most things like keyboard and mouse etc run on like 5v rail.

case fans use very little power where talking like maybe 50-75w watts.

rx 570 is a diffrent beast. at max its drawing 150w

thats diffrent from other gpu which can draw 210 watts

also what is the ram your using ?

msi boards are a royal pain as well i spend half my time on this form sorting msi boards.

May 28, 2024
if its the antec earth watts psu i remember that is a duel rail i wouldnt use it its quite old and duel rail psu can be a bit problematic if it pulls to much from 1 rail it could kill the psu.

the gpu might be fine it may have killed the board first. in some cases it can be obvious with swollen motherboard caps.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7a3bf539beb9769164e61af343ca9b5e-lq

even if all the lights are on doesnt really mean jack. most things like keyboard and mouse etc run on like 5v rail.

case fans use very little power where talking like maybe 50-75w watts.

rx 570 is a diffrent beast. at max its drawing 150w

thats diffrent from other gpu which can draw 210 watts

also what is the ram your using ?

msi boards are a royal pain as well i spend half my time on this form sorting msi boards.
So, at this point in my situation I should not worry about the motherboard and video card being damaged? I use 16 gb ram (2x8) Teamgroup brand. I've had them since last year and they haven't given me any problems.

I don't know if this can help you and these are the specifications of the gigabyte psu.

+12v 54A = 648w
-12v 0.3A = 3.6w

So, at this point in my situation I should not worry about the motherboard and video card being damaged? I use 16 gb ram (2x8) Teamgroup brand. I've had them since last year and they haven't given me any problems.

I don't know if this can help you and these are the specifications of the gigabyte psu.

+12v 54A = 648w
-12v 0.3A = 3.6w

at worst motherboard is fried

at worst both gpu and motherboard are gone.

one thing you can try is using the earth watts power supply you mentioned with the rx 570 if you have it on hand if it posts the motherboard is fine.

which would state that the psu is at fault

May 28, 2024
at worst motherboard is fried

at worst both gpu and motherboard are gone.

one thing you can try is using the earth watts power supply you mentioned with the rx 570 if you have it on hand if it posts the motherboard is fine.

which would state that the psu is at fault
Do you think this has anything to do with power supplies? Look at this here is from the Antec Earthwatts. The gigabyte only has a +12v.