[SOLVED] Power Supply for Dell Optiplex

Oct 11, 2021
Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 that I'm suspecting has a bad PSU; I'm looking to replace it and I would like to go with something a little newer than what it has but I'm not sure what to get to make sure I have the right connections; My current one has an 8 pin P1 and a 4 pin P2 connector. Do most modular/semi-modular PSUs nowadays come with those connectors, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't need to be anything crazy, just something to get me through. I'm eventually looking to build once the GPU market gets back to normal. Thanks a lot!

Oct 11, 2021
What Optiplex 3020? Micro, SFF or MT?

Why do you think the PSU is bad?

It's the MT; a couple months ago (haven't had time to mess with it) it started locking up. It first happened when I was playing a game, then would happen progressively sooner after booting to where it locks up before I can even get to BIOS sometimes. At one point I had ran the onboard diagnostics and didn't come up with any issues with RAM, storage, etc... I tried using the only restore point I had (which unfortunately wasn't too far back). At one point I had it working in safe mode which made me think a driver issue, but the last couple times I powered it on I really couldn't even get it into Safe Mode.

Oct 11, 2021
You need a 24p to 8 pin adapter like https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html and a PSU with DC-DC on the primary (because the systems only runs at 12v).
Do you have a link to a shop in your country for PSU recommandation?

Okay I see. And yeah here's one that looks like it may have an option for either the 24 or 8 pin... Does that look to you like it could work? I also may look for a cheaper option and go with the adapter

Thanks for the help

edit: nevermind, I think I looked at it wrong. I'll probably need the adapter no matter what

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...tx-power-supply-black/6459240.p?skuId=6459240

Last edited: