G

Current build
Case SilverStone Sugo SG13
Motherboard ASUS H110i-Plus D3
CPU Intel Core i5-6600
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V ver2
GPU Zotac GTX 660
PSU Corsair CX600M
(Memory and Storage excluded due to irrelevance)

I'd like replace my power supply, since its fan is incredibly annoying. I've broken the warranty and unplugged it, and my system becomes whisper quiet. It doesn't matter if I'm browing the web, or playing games, it's just annoying.

I plan on getting a GTX 1070, because my GTX 660 is bottlenecking me in games. As such I want a power supply that will support it. As I'm building in a rather small case, keeping the power supply on the small side, with as few cables as possible, would be appreciated.

There's really no budget here. I want a good power supply, as the one I have currently is really bad. If it costs a little extra, that's okay, because it'll be used for several years. However, I don't want to spend money just to get best of the best, I want to get something that is worth the price. Right now I'm leaning towards a Corsair SF600, but some reviews are saying it will start buzzing, and I spend most of my computer time with games running. Not sure if I should trust Corsair again, and I'm not sure if I should just get a good ATX power supply.

The Corsair SF600, while it is incredible indeed, is an SFX PSU which means you'll have to buy a 3rd party bracket to use it in your case. You should get a Corsair RM550x instead. Very quiet, way higher quality than the CX. If you want super quiet, there are fanless power supplies.

G

There's only a $10 difference between the "Corsair RMx Series RM650x" and the "Corsair RMx Series RM550x"
Should I get the 650 instead, or just go with the 550? I know the GTX 1080 should work with a 500W system, and this is Gold rated after all.

G

Is it still worth it when there's only a $20 difference between the Corsair RM550x and the Corsair SF600? I know the SF600 has a smaller fan, which means it has to run faster during load. By "worth it" I mean, will the RM500x be significantly more quiet than the SF600.

i would recomend this since your case can take a atx psu seasonic make good psus
ihttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132&cm_re=gold_modular_psu-_-17-151-132-_-Product

G

I might change to a larger case to make room for an air cooler, as the pump of my liquid cooler makes some weird sounds. Size isn't an issue, but if you can get the same out of something that's smaller, why not. However, that's not the case with the current state of power supplies.

You said I should pick the 550x for a GTX 1080 system, but I plan on getting a (probably MSI) GTX 1070. Why exactly should I get the 550x over the 650x? Does it just get less hot because it doesn't go as high? I want to keep a good power supply around for a few years, which means I want to get one that can power my future system :p

G

I'm mostly thinking of future proofing. Corsair recommends 600W power supplies for the 165W GTX 980. If I upgraded my GPU, or something else, in the future, would I not need more power? I'm thinking of getting a bitfenix prodigy, possibly adding more fans, which would use power too.

G

I guess if I don't need it, I don't it. Just wouldn't want $10 to be what pushes me to buy a new PSU if I need to replace my 1070 for something more power hungry in the future :p That's why I was wondering if maybe the 650 was significantly louder, or if there was any downside to buying it aside from losing $10, which is not a problem when I'm buying a $120 power supply :p

my bad the psu is same size but i still call a 550w model psu to close to bare minimum by nvidia state a 980 needs 550w a gtx 1080 is probly gonna be same

G

I think that's only with the drive bracket? I don't use that. I'll definitely be getting a larger case though, so it's no problem.

that was my bad i got it mixed up with another type of model either way i recon a 550w is way to small better with 650w of either option mainly cause psu do age and do lose efficiency