Question Power supply for Rx 7900 XT

dogizmo

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
Hello, I bought an Rx 7900 XT which require 750 watt minimum power. My power supply is 750 Watt. First week i got a lot of Crushes. Then I closed my rams XMP profiles. It fix my problem. Answer i am looking for is my I want to know my FPS in game increase if i buy 850 Watt power supply for my 7900 XT. Right now no crushes 3 weeks but i think power supply is working on the edge.

Lutfij

Titan
My power supply is 750 Watt.
That is the advertised wattage of the unit. You will need to state the make and model of the unit. If you have a badly built unit, it can have a sticker on it saying 1000W but in reality it can output half of that number effectively. As a thumb rule, you're advised to have a PSU that has more wattage than the entire system will pull when taxed(under load).

I bought an Rx 7900 XT
Got a link to the card you purchased? If your card is an AIB variant which is akin to the Powercolor Red Devil's, you will need a higher wattage unit as the cards are factory overclocked.

Last edited:
Hello dogizmo. I agree with Lutfij, that your power supply mfg and model is needed. In addition, I recommend that you list all your system specs. With that said, the fact that the crashes stopped once you turned off XMP, makes me assume that the crashes are related to your memory somehow. Is your BIOS updated to the latest version? Do you have the chipset updated (amd) or management engine updated (intel). Important: Are your RAM chips installed in the slots that your motherboard's manual specifies? I once had an AMD B350 chipset motherboard which had two 16GB 2400 MHz RAM installed, running at 2133 MT with XMP off. Once I enabled XMP, the computer was completely unstable, and practically unuseable. I then realized that my RAM was in the wrong slots, but hadn't been a problem until I enabled XMP. At a minimum, I would update the BIOS, while adhering to the notes listed in the BIOS page. And then I would locate the manual and verify that the RAM was in the proper slots before re-enabling XMP. That's what I would do in your situation.

Reactions: dogizmo

dogizmo

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
My power supply is 750 Watt.
That is the advertised wattage of the unit. You will need to state the make and model of the unit. If you have a badly built unit, it can have as ticker on it saying 1000W but in reality it can output half of that number effectively. As a thumb rule, you're advised to have a PSU that has more wattage than the entire system will pull when taxed(under load).

I bought an Rx 7900 XT
Got a link to the card you purchased? If your card is an AIB variant which is akin to the Powercolor Red Devil's, you will need a higher wattage unit as teh cards are factory overclocked.

Thank you for both of your answers. I will share my specs;
https://www.segment.com.tr/tr/urun/everest-btx-750-1-750w-80-plus-bronze-14cm-6sata-power-supply this my power supply. It shows 84% efficiency at %100 loads
My rams are kingstom hyperx predator 3000 Mhz 2x8 . Right now they are working on 2400 Mhz. When i do 3000 Mhz with new graphic card, sometimes i got crash and i need to unplug the power cable to open my computer again.( I know what is the correct position for ram slots. Before my new graphic card they were stable 2 years. )
Ryzen 7 3700 x
Rx 7900 XT sapphire https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/21323-01-20g-radeon-rx-7900-xt-20g-gddr6
Asus rog strix B350-F https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-model/
bios updated.

Before I was using 2060 super MSI gaming x

"AMD's Radeon RX 7900 XTX, while a powerful GPU in its own right, is not overly demanding when it comes to power consumption. The TBP of the card has been set to 355 watts, which is nearly 100W less than Nvidia's RTX 4090"

355 watts is quite a bit of power draw. I'd suggest a new good quality 850 watt psu at a minimum.

Reactions: dogizmo

dogizmo

Reputable
Feb 19, 2018
"AMD's Radeon RX 7900 XTX, while a powerful GPU in its own right, is not overly demanding when it comes to power consumption. The TBP of the card has been set to 355 watts, which is nearly 100W less than Nvidia's RTX 4090"

355 watts is quite a bit of power draw. I'd suggest a new good quality 850 watt psu at a minimum.
Thank you for your answer, It is XT model not XTX.

DSzymborski

Titan
I am not sure if it is A tier power supply. It is a cheap Chinese brand but it served well for 5,5 years. Have not made any problem

That's not how it works. A PSU doesn't just not cause any problems by not blowing up. Junk PSUs also slowly damage components over time, like someone who eats a pound of bacon for breakfast ever morning. The lifespan of anything this has ever been used with may have already been shortened, frequently considerably.

The only way you can show a PSU hasn't caused any issues is with an oscilloscope and load tester.