impseth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I sometimes see that a power supply is advertised as "350WP4 power supply". Does this mean that the PS will only work on pentium 4 board? I'm going to be picking up a 350W for an AMD motherboard, is there a certain type of PS I should buy or will any work? Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, this is funny: Most AMD boards now require a "P4" power supply.

The deal is, Intel first required an additional power connector for their CPU voltage regulator. This connector is usually called "ATX 12v". It has 4 pins, and it's square.

Since Intel was the first to require it, and it was originally released for P4 motherboards, companies used to call those power supplies "P4 compatable".

But AMD boards have been using it for quite a while too. And the newer power supplies also work with older boards, you don't have to use the ATX12v connector unless your board requires it.

So calling it a P4 power supply simply means the suplier is behind the times in their terminology, these types of power supplies actually work with any ATX powered board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
lol I am so relieved. I didn't put that second connection on this new mobo at first. I thought I remembered that being an "extra" connection for p4s. Then when I realized I need to use it I thought I was going loopy. So that *is* a p4 connection...good to know, lol.

<font color=purple>If your nose runs and your feet smell, then maybe you're upside down. W.C. Fields <font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's an ATX12v connection. It's generic. Intel introduced it for the P4, but now it's used across platforms.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Frintin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
Yeh what Crashman said! It is important to know that the models that are advertised do have the extra 12V power connector (and yes it was required by P4's and marketed as such) that may be needed by an Intel P4 MB or an AMD XP, 64 MB too!

Frintin Rocks!