Question Power supply gave me a shock

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi, A few minutes ago I wanted to turn of my pc completely using the psu button, It was dark so I didnt really see where my hand was, or it was my case or psu but I do think it was psu. I was feeling over the psu and searching for the button and it gave me a big shock. It was pretty big actually I could feel it from my hand all the way to my shoulder. And I can still feel it in my index finger. Now I dont now if it is normal but maybe my hand was just not on a place where it should have been. Maybe it has to do that it is 42 degrees celcius here in Belgium. Can somebody please tell me if this is normal? Thanks!

Maybe it was normal, I washed my hands before it and didnt dry them that good.

It's not normal. PSU housing is supposed to be Earth grounded. Even a wet hand shouldn't shock you.

Is your AC outlet grounded? Maybe the problem is lack of Earth ground.

When I was a kid, I went to Celebrity Fun Center in Denver, CO. They had a line of arcade games next to the pool. I'd go for a swim and then play some video games. The stupid morons that run the place used an ungrounded extension cord to supply power to the machins, so every time I put a quarter in the slot, I would get a hell of a shock because I just got out of the pool and was still wet. :(

Reactions: TOMpel

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
It's not normal. PSU housing is supposed to be Earth grounded. Even a wet hand shouldn't shock you.

Is your AC outlet grounded? Maybe the problem is lack of Earth ground.

When I was a kid, I went to Celebrity Fun Center in Denver, CO. They had a line of arcade games next to the pool. I'd go for a swim and then play some video games. The stupid morons that run the place used an ungrounded extension cord to supply power to the machins, so every time I put a quarter in the slot, I would get a hell of a shock because I just got out of the pool and was still wet. :(
I use an extremely old extension cord, There definitely is a problem with that extension cord. My powerline adapter can for some reason not work when I use it with the extension cord.