Power Supply Help

teejaymmk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Ok, so I've done some research on my problem and it seems quite a few people have had the same problem I am having. While playing certain games(SimCity, Natural Selection 2, MechWarrior Online, others) my PC will shut down or freeze(my monitor goes black and gets the message "Monitor Going to Sleep" then my PC freezes and I have to force shut down). I have monitored my GPU temps and CPU temps and they all seem to be in the norm leading up to the malfunction. Again this only happens with certain games, I play Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Witcher 2, and other high end graphics games on max settings and they run fine. I believe I have it narrowed down to faulty GPU, or my power supply isn't large enough. Is a 800W PS enough for my PC?

My specs are:
Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower
Processor - Intel i7-2600k(4x 3.40Ghz/8MB L3)
Processor Cooling - Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory - 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB - HIS Fan Turbo - Core: 920MHz
Motherboard - [SLI] ASUS P8P67 Deluxe -- 2 Gb LAN, 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16
HD - 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s
SSD - 120 GB
Power Supply - 800 Watt -- Standard Brand

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hey, I think your power supply is fine... but you can look at: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp or just google power supply calculator.

This is seems more like a GPU issue than a power supply issue. I would think that newer games would put more stress on the system and use more power.

Have you tried running the crashing games with any special settings... such as compatibility mode or through virtual copy of XP to see if you can replicate the crashes.

The symptoms do not match a bad power supply. Generally, a bad PSU in this case will force a reset/reboot.

A good 800 watt PSU will have no problem powering your system. What brand is it? That will make a big difference.

I would first suspect bad drivers. Go to the ATI website and download the reference drivers.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

I have to agree with everything said here.

Usually if the PSU is bad it won't boot the system at all or if it's not delivering enough power it will simply shut off the entire system to protect itself from blowing a capacitor or melting a crucial internal part.

Unfortunately, none of us can do much without the exact brand and model of your PSU but like jsc said I'm more inclined to think it's a bad/corrupted driver or perhaps something more mundane like a corrupted windows OS.

TRENDING THREADS