Power Supply Help

Elmaes

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello, so i have a lenovo pc (e73) with core i3 4160 and 4Gb ddr3 memory and i want to change the power supply.
So my question is,
Can any pc get its power supply changed ? Or there are permanant power supplies?
Thanks in advance. :)

Solution

In technology, yes everything is replaceable. ;)
There are several different form factor power supplies such as standard ATX or Small Form Factor (SFF). Yours happens to use an SFF 180 watt. It gets tricky trying to upgrade OEM built PC's because they sometimes use proprietary power supplies that have odd dimensions or are wired differently, and trying to use an aftermarket PSU may damage the system. Best to check on the Lenovo forums to see if anyone else has upgraded their identical PC to make sure it will work before trying it.

Elmaes

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Sorry guys, but im new to PCs world, i just wanna know if its replacable or not :)

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

In technology, yes everything is replaceable. ;)

Solution

Elmaes

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Okay, do new PSUs fits this case eVGA 500W PSU fits that case ?
and can i run GTX 750Ti OC 2GDR5 after upgrading the PSU ?

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
No a GTX 750 Ti doesn't need 300W PSU, it only takes around 60W for a standard model.

So if you're gonna buy a non OC model, you should be fine. Just look if it's fits in the case.

What's the minimum recommended wattage for a GTX 750Ti? What processor is being used? Does the board even have a PCIe x 16 slot? Does the Bios allow for the card used? Do they need a low profile card? You need to answer all these questions before you go recommending someone use a graphics card in an OEM. It may work no problem, or, they may end up with a card they can't use, or it might pop the PSU and destroy all their components.

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

There isn't any, it just depends on the other components.
What processor is being used?
He already said that, a i3 4160.
Does the board even have a PCIe x 16 slot?
It does
Does the Bios allow for the card used?
It should, it's not an old motherboard, so it should support modern UEFI cards.
Do they need a low profile card?
Already said that he should look if it's fits.
You need to answer all these questions before you go recommending someone use a graphics card in an OEM. It may work no problem, or, they may end up with a card they can't use, or it might pop the PSU and destroy all their components.
OEM systems don't use crappy PSU's. They use PSU's from Lite-on, Delta, Acbel, or other big manufactures.

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

No it's not, it would even fit if you have a Lenovo E73 mini tower and the quality could even be worse.

Already told you, it's not.

Elmaes

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
But, on nvidia website that is what said ! and yeah the PSU manufacturer is AcBel.
But then what PSU would you recommend me ? i just dont want to risk :(
and notice that i also want to higher the ram from 4gb to 8gb

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

nVidia can't recommend you anything, because they don't know the other components.
and notice that i also want to higher the ram from 4gb to 8gb
The power consumption of memory is extremely low, only a couple off watts tops.

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Well then a normal GTX 750 Ti should fit fine, also no need to replace the PSU, just buy a non OC GTX 750 Ti, without an external power connector.

PSUGod

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Nope, a decent PSU also has Over Power Protection (OPP) but you PC with GTX 750 Ti only takes around the 120W out of the PSU. So even without OPP there isn't a problem.
and the eVGA one doesnt need that external power connector, right ?
Which EVGA? Do you have a link?
and it is 2gb now 1gb ! is it okay ?
A 2GB version is a bit better.