Power supply help

RegularPCUser

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
I have 2 choices for a power supply but don't know which one to choose.
Roseville Photon 1050w PSU ( used for 2 months but told it's still working perfect)
Or
Corsair RM1000 PSU ( new in box)

Need to choose between these 2 only. Can get either at a good deal from a friend.
Thanks!

Solution
you gotta check your power consumption in DC current then check the prices to see which one you need , there are power calculators online , you give them all your parts and they calculate the power for you

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016
you gotta check your power consumption in DC current then check the prices to see which one you need , there are power calculators online , you give them all your parts and they calculate the power for you

Solution

RegularPCUser

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

I have a Xeon x5650 @4.4ghz and 2 780tis. Running 1 because of current PSU. From what I read on other posts 780ti sli is 850w without oc but I plan on oc both.

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016

i think you gotta have a psu specifically for OC then , there are psu's like that , but again you gotta check all your parts with a power calculator

You must have some rather extreme needs to require that mush power... re multiple 1st tier cards, highly OCd CPU, water pumps etc.

Was not impressed by the RM series but some were made by Chicony and some by CWT (better)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=369

The RM 1000 was made by CWT

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000/11.html

The PSU couldn't deliver its full power at or above 44°C-45°C ambient (OTP triggered) over prolonged periods
Ripple suppression at +12V and 3.3V rails was bad
Less than 16 ms hold-up time
Short distance between peripheral connectors
The fan should spin during start-up to make sure it is working properly

The Photon is made by Sirfa

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9084/rosewill-photon-1050w-review/5

The Photon 1050W is a well-made fully modular PSU, capable of good overall performance and retails at a competitive price ($140 shipped at the time of this review). It is however difficult to find supporters in the user group it is meant to attract. If all someone cares about is to get a good quality 1000-1050W PSU that works well for the lowest possible price, then the Photon 1050W becomes a plausible option. If however a user is looking for class-leading electrical performance and or inaudible/low-noise operation, they will probably have to dig a little deeper into their pockets.

Understand your dilemma with regard to only having 2 choices, but I would walk away from this one. If you have a quality enough PC to need 1000 watts, neither is a PSU that i would put in that box.

When you are OC'ing YOU DO NEED A BETTER PSU... you need a PSU that doesn't "crap the bed" as the saying goes when the load gets up near maximum... this is exactly what happens with the Photon making it unsuitable if the usage you describe. Yes, OC problems do go away when you have a better quality PSU... here's why:

1. As you get closer to the rated load, ripple and voltage stability start to go south. Both are the enemy of stable OC. Your 4.5 Ghz stable OC can oft be a 4.7 / 4.8 Ghz OC with a PSU that can deliver stable voltages at load.

2. As you saw in the review above, when PSUs get to maximum load, hings get hot and when things get hot, they often fail to deliver their rated load.

My rule of them is as follows :

a) Office PC - Jonnyguru Performance / Build Quality Rating = 8.5
b) Budget Gaming - Jonnyguru Performance / Build Quality Rating = 9.0
c) Moderate to High Overclocking PC (SLI) - Jonnyguru Performance / Build Quality Rating = 9.5
d) Extreme Overclocking / Water Cooled PC - Jonnyguru Performance / Build Quality Rating = 10.0

RegularPCUser

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

Ah ok if you'd don't recommend either than I'll spend some more for a better PSU.thanks!

RegularPCUser

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

I don't plan on selling these. When I do upgrade, im going to give them to my brother and I'll probably go for the Ti variant of the 1080. So for now, I want to run these in sli.

Not disagreeing with you, but you just need it appropriately sized and of appropriate quality, not a case of:
i think you gotta have a psu specifically for OC then , there are psu's like that

if you were to judge the RM as being of good enough quality, i'd would also say that it was big enough to give enough headroom even when OC'd.