Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi,

I recently built a PC with the following (relevant) specs:

Processor: Phenom II 1090T 3.2 Ghz Black Edition
Motherboard: ASROCK M3A UCC
Graphic card: XFX HD 5870 1GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600MHz

Well... here comes the issue... At first I was using a power supply Unit made my HiPoint.. 500W, which i THINK was the cause of BSODs and random restarting.
So I decided to replace it with a Hiper Type M 670 Watts.... only to get the same problem, only a LOT more frequently.
So again I decided to replace, and this time (for budget reasons) I decided a generic PSU couldn't be the worst thing in the world and bought an EZCool 700W power supply which ALSO keeps causing my PC to BSOD and random restart.

Now.. the evidence might point to some other component which is causing these problems, but, when i check the event log on the PC, it says 'A sudden loss of power' (something along those lines).. I realise that might be the case with all BSODs, but also changing the RAM frquency from 1600MHz to 1333MHz seems to reduce the frequency of the crashes quite a lot. Is that a power supply issue????

HELP!!!
If it is a power supply issue, please give me an alternative for under about £60...
Thank you!!

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
honestly, BSODs could be many things, its a process of elimination. stay away from these generic psu's if you value your pc. I have been there so many times and have had every single one fail on me within a few months, one even took out my gfx card. Get a decent brand like corsair or the like.

Kfatine

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hmmmm... so it isn't necessarily the PSU (I'm returning it anyway and taking your advice)... all components are new....
is there any definitive way of diagnosing the reason of BSODs?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
yes dont buy the generic brands, get a good brand. its not overclocked is it?

Try running memtest also to see if you get errors. google memtest for info how to use.

A bsod can usually be anything from drivers to hardware failure to simple configurations.

Its a matter of elimination im afraid.

Also download coretemp and check the temps of your cpu

Kfatine

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Nope, nothing overclocked.... yet.

I re-installed windows and got the same BSOD problem.

I ran memtest in the past, no errors... didnt even crash during that time funnily enough.

I've run prime95 a couple of times with no problems.

I've got a few temp monitoring programs and get about 27 C on idle and about 45 on load.

Also the hardware is brand new! So im stumped!