Question Power supply issue with 2070

k1macx

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
I just purchased an ASUS dual rtx2070
The manual is vague and is generalized for any card, but it says specifically "if it comes with an auxiliary power connector, use that connector".

The issue is, the connector has two 6pin females (one with a brown wire that seems to be a ground) that outputs to an 8pin male. The ports on the card are one 6pin and one 8pin. Do I plug two 6pins to the 8pin adapter and then yet another 6pin to the board? I'd try this but don't want to fry the board in doing so, and ASUS tech support told me to read the manual carefully. :/

Anyone with this card have any idea? I'd forget the adapter all together but when I do (with two separate rails from my modular PSU mind you)it seems to have clock speeds that go super low for no reason so I have a feeling it's the power. Temps are all around 45c so don't see it thermal throttling whatsoever.

k1macx

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Also now that I see the manual again, it says if your card has an auxiliary power connector to use it. The image then shows a simple plug. So I think it's for people who've never plugged in a PCIe cable before...thanks man. Any idea what could be causing my clock speeds to idle so low even when I put on "maximum performance" in Nvidia settings?