Power Supply Keeps Dying

Vanells

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I cant figure this out. I have an older desktop.
AMD Athlon XP 1600
ASUS A7V133 Mobo
1 gig SDRAM
e-GeForce FX 5200 Video
LG DVD Reader
LG DVD RW+-R

I was doing a new OS install on it yesterday and in the middle of it the Power Supply died. It was an old 300w. I got it replaced with a 450w and today when I was doing the install it died again.

Do you think its just bad luck or could this be caused by something else ?

Up untill i decided to reinstall the OS (XP Prof), the comp was running fine. The only other thing that recently changed is the video card that I added about a month an half ago

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
What's the brand of PSU's? If they were cheap ones I'd break down and get a good 350w one. If they were good ones, Id' suspect the mobo but still try another PSU.

First thing return the new PSU as bad and get a quality one - Fortron, Enermax, OCZ, Antec, etc. and give it one more try. Its possible the old PSU just died and you got a lemon - getting 2 lemons says its not the PSU.

I've got an old T-bird 1ghz running on an A7V133 (only 512 RAM though) running on a Fortron 300w, but I have an old GF2 video card - your 5200 will need more power. :)

Mike.

Vanells

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Well I just went through another 2 PSU's so I can only suspect its the mobo at this point.

I just picked up the mobo so well how she goes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
dewd, it's nearly impossible for a motherboard to kill a decent power supply. If your power supplies are dying, it's because you're buying JUNK.

So now you put in a new board, and perhaps your junk power supply will fry the board instead. Congratulations. This is the same type of thinking that keeps perpetually poor people poor, even though they usually make more money than me.

Vanells

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
well the last one that it killed was a Antec TruePower II 550 which is no slouch when it comes to power supplies
and
now that I've replaced the mobo, everything is working fine. Same components just a different mobo.

This is the same type of thinking that keeps perpetually poor people poor, even though they usually make more money than me.
?......

All I can say to that is invest in yerself if yer not happy with your life and only offer positive advice to people.... thats what these forums are for

Vanells

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Yeah acrually after the first to meltdowns I ended up replacing the surge protector as well as the ps. Again that ps went as well.