[SOLVED] POWER SUPPLY KILLED MY GTX 1050?

Jan 21, 2021
so guys recently i bought an rx580 to replace my gtx 1050 , and i put my 1050 on my old PC, which had a power supply issue, so i bought a psu for my old pc , and put the 1050 inside, when i power it on theres a smoke and sparks coming from the gpu , and now the gpu died. so today i bought a gtx 950 to replace the broken 1050 for my old PC . im just scared that it'll happen twice, is it a PSU problem? so should i replace the psu first or what? btw its an aerocool 550w 80+ bronze and i bought it brand new.

Solution
Likely the psu couldn't handle the extra load of the 1050. But it sounds like it didn't damage anything else, but the pci-e slot may not be ok. I'd replace the psu with a decent unit before moving forward.
Jan 21, 2021
Likely the psu couldn't handle the extra load of the 1050. But it sounds like it didn't damage anything else, but the pci-e slot may not be ok. I'd replace the psu with a decent unit before moving forward.
i forgot to mention that the last time the GTX 1050 was working is when my current PC (which has a RX580 now) is also having a PSU issue and it shut the PC down while it was on. does that have anything to do with my gpu getting fried?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

we

welp im new to pc building , i thought a good psu can only be seen from its certification (bronze,gold,etc), and i thought bronze was the minimum standard of a good psu xD, i dont know such thing as psu tier lmao, thanks for the reply !
That's just the efficiency of the PSU, has nothing to do with quality

I'm running a 80+ Bronze PSU with a Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 3070. For now anyway.

DSzymborski

Titan
we

welp im new to pc building , i thought a good psu can only be seen from its certification (bronze,gold,etc), and i thought bronze was the minimum standard of a good psu xD, i dont know such thing as psu tier lmao, thanks for the reply !

That's only efficiency, not quality.

Just as an analogy, the first picture below is a much more fuel-efficient car than the one in the second picture.

Screen-shot-2014-08-05-at-3.00.51-PM.png

2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-coupe-101-1586288365.jpg