Question Power supply makes extremely loud buzzing noise & computer remains on even though it is shut down

Jun 12, 2019
Hi, I have an Acer ATC 605 UR2D desktop running Windows 7 Home with 12 GB RAM and a Core i-7. All original Acer parts. It was bought new in December 2014.

Recently there has been this hideous, deafening noise coming from the computer, as loud as a smoke alarm going off. Something is seriously wrong, and I worry neighbors will knock on the door since it is so loud. It happens after the computer has been on for a day or so, and starts all of a sudden, like an alarm going off. When I shut it down via Windows and the monitors goes blank, the computer (the lights and USB hub) remains on until I press and hold the power button. I opened the case and think the noise is coming from the power supply, as when I press down on the power supply, it lessens the noise. Also, the USB hub I use has it owns power adapter, so it is not draining the computer's power supply.

And when I turn the computer back on right after, the noise is stopped, but the computer does a disk check for damage.

There are no loose screws and the fan is pretty clean.

The noise has gotten progressively worse over the past 6 months. It used to happen only when it was 60 degrees or less inside and lasted only 15 minute before stopping by itself. Now anything goes. My programs are also taking longer to respond, like they are sleeping. This was never the case before.

1. Is it the power supply?

2. If so, should I replace it or just buy a new computer?

3. If I replace it, should I get a higher capacity power supply?

4. Is there a video or manual that tells me how to replace this specific unit? The Acer manual is useless.

Here is a pic of the power supply:

IMG-0478.jpg

Here is another:

IMG-0490.jpg

Thanks!

Since I see the standard 24pin atx connector, I would say to replace the PSU, usually the problems are when you cannot correctly shut down PC but Im quite unsure what would cause high pitch noise from PSU.
And from googling it seems those are Chinese crap models dating older than 2012?
I would suggest an Corsair CX/VS (Grey units) or Older Seasonic S12 model.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jun 12, 2019
Since I see the standard 24pin atx connector, I would say to replace the PSU, usually the problems are when you cannot correctly shut down PC but Im quite unsure what would cause high pitch noise from PSU.
And from googling it seems those are Chinese crap models dating older than 2012?
I would suggest an Corsair CX/VS (Grey units) or Older Seasonic S12 model.

Thanks so much RememberThe5th! I am going to replace the PSU and go from there, rather than buying a new computer to see if I can squeeze a few more years out of it.

This question is for anyone:

I actually found a Raidmax 630z PSU from my old HP that stopped working. It is from 2010, but was only used for 3 years, and has been stored inside since. It was pretty clean, but I just cleaned the fan blades and grill with a moist q-tip. I plugged it in, without connecting any of the internal cords, and it does not work, but I assume that is normal since I haven't installed it yet??

I am wondering if it is compatible with my Acer ATC TC-605 UR2D?

Here are some pics:

IMG-7362-rotated.jpg

IMG-7373.jpg

IMG-7372-rotated.jpg

IMG-7364.jpg

Jun 12, 2019
Also, I should have made note when I uninstalled the Raidmax PSU above, but do these cords below need to be connected to my Acer? And where?

IMG-7370.jpg

And I didn't have to use these cords below in my old HP, so I assume I won't need to connect them to my Acer? The one with the red clip says PCI-E:

IMG-7371.jpg

3. Finally, I assume the PSU cords for the DVD drive and hard drive are interchangeable, since they look identical?

I actually found a Raidmax 630z PSU from my old HP that stopped working. It is from 2010, but was only used for 3 years, and has been stored inside since. It was pretty clean, but I just cleaned the fan blades and grill with a moist q-tip. I plugged it in, without connecting any of the internal cords, and it does not work, but I assume that is normal since I haven't installed it yet??

I am wondering if it is compatible with my Acer ATC TC-605 UR2D?

Not sure about the compatibility, but that RAIDMAX and LITEON PSUs are junk, very horrible quality low-end power supplies. Do NOT use them to power up any gaming RIG. Which Video card do you have ??

Can't say your power supply is the culprit here, but try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. . Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from :eek:

• Diablotek
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration.. :) ;)
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Jun 12, 2019
Wow! What a thorough answer! I appreciate the list and am going to save this.

To answer your question, I have a BFG graphics card with lifetime warranty, but I do not game. Just average use on the web (including YouTube) and email.

I just pulled the near dead Liteon PSU from my Acer, and put in the Raidmax to see if it would work. Nothing. Apparently the Raidmax must have died with the HP I got it from or while sitting. The good news is I still had the original PSU the HP came with, still unused. It is called a Bestec (300W). Here is a pic:

IMG-7374.jpg

I put it in my Acer, and it worked. It's an upgrade from the 200W Liteon. I know it sucks, but at least my desktop works now, and it didn't cost me anything. My Acer is like 4 years old anyway, so if it goes, it goes. I plan to get an Lenovo later on anyway. When I get a better computer, I'll invest in a better PSU (from your list!).

Reactions: Metal Messiah.