Power supply makes hard drive skip when powered by SATA

May 15, 2018
As stated in the title, when my hard drive (any hard drive) is powered by SATA, it skips and can't be read. If I power it by molex with an adapter, it works just fine. My CD drive works fine off of SATA power. I have no idea what is going on

Solution
I have had occasions when those cables are a pain to plug in. Now that I think about it, I have even plugged the SATA cables in before installing the drive (because the cable would not go on inside the case).
I can only guess that there is a problem with the SATA power cable or connection. Try a different SATA power cable. Or try a different connector on a modular power supply.

Another possibility is that there may be something about the SATA plug that prevents the power connection from seating correctly. For example, a poor molding on the power connector may need to be trimmed to allow it to be fully seated.

May 15, 2018

I hear ya. I've tried different cables and cable slots because my PSU is modular. It's just weird because it came out of nowhere. One day it was working fine and the next it wasn't. Like I said, it powers my CD drive and the disks read fine. It just won't let any drive I plug in spin up. I can just hear it clicking and the drive activity light is in sync with the sound. I guess I'll try trimming the molding