Question Power supply making weird buzzing/hissing noise

Jul 12, 2019
Hello
Recently i'v started to notice my power supply making a weird buzzing/hissing noise. I recently purchased a new graphics card, and about three weeks after using it, my power supply starts making this weird noise. I think the noise only happens when i'm playing intense games, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, etc. It could be that the wattage is too low for my new graphics card, but before I purchased it, I checked a few websites to see if my power supply could support my new GPU, and they said it would be fine. Iv tried plugging in my computer into a completely different output and straight into the wall, but that didn't do anything. Im not using my computer just to be safe, but any help/answers would be appreciated

Power Supply: Corsair CX750 750W Bronze

Specs:

Intel Core i7 8700k
MSi GeForce RTX 2070 Ventus (my new gpu)
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram
MSi H310M Gaming Plus Motherboard
Cooler Master ML240 AIO Cpu cooler
Seagate Barracuda 1tb hdd
Samsung 500gb ssd
Corsair Crystal 280x

750w is plenty for your pc so thats not the problem
firstly, try replugging all the internal connectors. the cx family is NON modular im pretty sure
so you only need to replug on the board, gpu and any sata or molex ports as that might be the cause of the issue

if after replugging all of it, it still hisses, it means it might be the fan
for that you might want to either physically jam it (its generally not good for the fan but it wont break it or anything... probably.) or opening up the psu and just disconnecting the fan
WARNING!!!
no touchy on anyyyyything other than the fan and its connector inside the psu. i hope i dont need to say, dont have the psu plugged in or turned on while you do this!! that thing has ac power from the wall going through it. that really could kill you.

if ALL of that doesnt work, might wanna just return the psu, if it still has warrenty.

Jul 12, 2019
750w is plenty for your pc so thats not the problem
firstly, try replugging all the internal connectors. the cx family is NON modular im pretty sure
so you only need to replug on the board, gpu and any sata or molex ports as that might be the cause of the issue

if after replugging all of it, it still hisses, it means it might be the fan
for that you might want to either physically jam it (its generally not good for the fan but it wont break it or anything... probably.) or opening up the psu and just disconnecting the fan
WARNING!!!
no touchy on anyyyyything other than the fan and its connector inside the psu. i hope i dont need to say, dont have the psu plugged in or turned on while you do this!! that thing has ac power from the wall going through it. that really could kill you.

if ALL of that doesnt work, might wanna just return the psu, if it still has warrenty.

I re plugged all the internal cables and that did nothing. The sound keeps happening when I play intense games. Is there a chance that it isn't a big problem and i can keep gaming?

While turned on, does shaking the kettle lead (mains cable) connector going into the PSU make this noise any louder/stop. If so, it could just be a loose connection causing the electricity to ark. If this does make a difference to the noise, shutdown your PC, then remove this kettle lead and reinsert it with a single, hard, straight push as far as it goes into the PSU.
Other things to check: is it definitely coming from the PSU? It could be a fan on the GPU or CPU. To test, roll up some paper into a telescope-like shape, with the hole big enough to cover your ear. Put one end on your ear, and direct the other towards different components.
Lastly, try loosening then tightening the PSU fan screws. Make sure not to loosen them all the way, and make sure it is definitely the fan screws you are changing.

Jul 12, 2019
Ok thank you, ill try that. There is a very small chance it could be my hard drive as it about 5-10cm above my PSU, but the noise seems to be coming from the psu itself. Is there a chance it could be my hard drive and if so is that normal? because it might make sense if it is my hard drive because my computer makes that noise when I open games specifically on my hard drive.

Ok thank you, ill try that. There is a very small chance it could be my hard drive as it about 5-10cm above my PSU, but the noise seems to be coming from the psu itself. Is there a chance it could be my hard drive and if so is that normal? because it might make sense if it is my hard drive because my computer makes that noise when I open games specifically on my hard drive.
could be the drive
drives do make noise

CX. It’s the older one with the cords all coming all out of one hole.

Older? The CX750 is actually newer than the latest generation CX750M. One does not replace the other. They co-exist.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16610-Corsair-CX-and-CX-M-quot-cheat-sheet-quot

If it's actually the "non-M" version, there shouldn't be any issues. My guess is some of the varnish on one of the magnetics. Or maybe some caulk dried hard and cracked. If the windings of the magnetics are in open air (lacking varnish, caulk, etc.), then the vibrations caused by the current travelling through them can make an audible noise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_excited_acoustic_noise_and_vibration

TRENDING THREADS