[SOLVED] Power Supply making weird noise

What0423

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
Hey,
I couldn't find anything out there relating to my issue. Since yesterday, my computer was making really strange noises. (humming noise) I narrowed it down, it looks to be coming from the PSU. I cleaned out all the dust from the fan and it started up fine with no noise. A couple minutes later, it was back. I'll attach a youtube video of what it sounds like.
Any help would be appreciated!

Issue Noise

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHZ
GPU: MSI RX580 8GB ARMOUR OC
PSU: LPS Ultra 750W (got the case w/ psu. have never heard of it. google doesn't even bring up anything for it.)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Solution
PSU: LPS Ultra 750W (got the case w/ psu. have never heard of it. google doesn't even bring up anything for it.)

That's because it's LSP. Not LPS.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567

Company went out of business about a decade ago.

So it's old. The fan has lived passed it's expected life span and it's really time to replace the whole thing.

Surprised you haven't already. Looks like you replaced everything else over the last 10 years. Why not the PSU too?

What0423

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
Sounds like a bearing going out, which for a random chinese cheap brand PSU isn't surprising. replace that with a decent quality PSU.

Do Not try and open the PSU and fix/replace the fan, plenty of people have been injured and even killed from discharging capcitors.
ok thanks for the information. no wasn't thinking of opening it up.

That's because it's LSP. Not LPS.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567

Company went out of business about a decade ago.

So it's old. The fan has lived passed it's expected life span and it's really time to replace the whole thing.

Surprised you haven't already. Looks like you replaced everything else over the last 10 years. Why not the PSU too?

Solution

What0423

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
I got the case, power supply from a friend. Hasn't been used in quite a while. Only a few hours on the psu when I bought it. I recently bought a new graphics card, cpu and motherboard. Therefore, i just used the same things. the sound stopped anyway.