[SOLVED] Power supply may be dying?

steacypaquette

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018
Hey!
I have an Asrock Steel Legend B550M for about a week. Windows started(for no reason) telling me that the USB that I connected, malfunctioned. It popped up every second or so and I didn't connect any new USB, not today at least. I tried booting off a live version of Linux, everything was fine except the bios took longer than usual to load all his thing. I then get into the Bios to see if everything was fine, it was slow as hell, I can't use the mouse or the keyboard to switch tab, well not before waiting a LOT.

What I've tried:
I removed all my USB and Fans, Didn't do it...I switch the 8 pins power for the 4 pins, it worked... Bios ok but it took longer than usual to load as I said previously. I tried switching to ultra-fast booting(bios option), didn't make any difference. But since I switched for the 4 pins Windows is ok and not spamming me notifications about the USB malfunction.

Can it be my power supply? It's old, very old (8 years) but still a very good power supply (Corsair 850W) Plenty of power for what I have, witch it is almost nothing. I just bought this system(except the PSU of course) and I don't want to break it, should I replace this power supply?
Did anyone get this kind of problem? Can it be something else?
Thank you all

Solution
Yeah sure, the psu is old, likely using a dated platform and needs replacing. But i quite doubt that the psu is causing these bios slowdowns and usb errors.
I'd pin the usb errors on windows, needing new chipset drivers or a windows re-install. It could also be a failing board chipset, but I'll leave that as a unlikely last resort.

The slow bios, it could be a lot of things, I'd start with a cmos battery removal(unplug power cable) and use the jumper pins, short the pins with a screw driver for a few sec. Could also just unplug the power and remove the battery for 30 minutes or so(10min is usiually fine).
Yeah sure, the psu is old, likely using a dated platform and needs replacing. But i quite doubt that the psu is causing these bios slowdowns and usb errors.
I'd pin the usb errors on windows, needing new chipset drivers or a windows re-install. It could also be a failing board chipset, but I'll leave that as a unlikely last resort.

The slow bios, it could be a lot of things, I'd start with a cmos battery removal(unplug power cable) and use the jumper pins, short the pins with a screw driver for a few sec. Could also just unplug the power and remove the battery for 30 minutes or so(10min is usiually fine).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS