Question power supply necessary to bring ram to 3200 speeds?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Boy I feel so stupid posting this :) ... technically I'm not overclocking.. or I don't think that I am anyways.. in that I absolutely refuse to overclock any of my AMD ryzen CPU's due to a combination of ignorance and paranoia on my part :p .. I absolutely salute and respect those on this forum who have the technical expertise and knowledge to do so but quite frankly I'm too scared :)

My area of interest is more in getting the ram I purchased to it's 3200 speed.. I've already read some of the excellent posts in this forum re: ram and overclocking thanks so much you guys :) .. although from what I understand (I could be wrong?) "overclocking" the ram in my case just means getting it to the 3200 speed that the label on the ram says it's supposed to go at?

I have three desktop PC's all of which are Asus boards so apparently you change the settings from "auto" to "DOCP" in the "AI Overclock Tweaker" like in this video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9qzqwHbBY

so I did this with my daughter's desktop PC rig having no clue that a good power supply is necessary (like I said I'm ignorant :p ) and I got lucky .. here's my daughter's PC rig setup

- G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Dual Channel DesktopMemory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

(that was two sticks of 8 GB ram at first, encountered my problem when I added two more of the exact same sticks of ram bringing it to 32 GB total)

- ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PLUS II AM4 AMD B450 SATA6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

- AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Processor W/Wraith Stealth Cooler - 100-100000159BOX (stock "wraith" cooler)

- EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12
OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR

- three SSD drives (2.5 form factor), one Western Digital Black "Performance" drive

- CD/DVD tray (I know I know outmoded :p, the PC case is ancient but my kids love it and don't want me to upgrade it - ancient ultra defender 2 case)

- six 120 mm case fans

- Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

And yep I know (now) that the 600 watt power supply is what's killing me, it's not even a tier C power supply from what I understand ..

Despite that amazingly enough (and being too stupid to realize " Hey maybe I shouldn't try to increase the default ram speed with a terrible power supply) when I set the two sticks of ram to 3200 speed the PC had no problem with this.

Then I added two more of the exact same sticks of ram , four sticks of 8 GB for 32 GB ram total (my daughter has a lot of programs open at once so I thought it might help her PC go even faster I'm greedy that way :) ) and ... all sorts of heart attacks on my end with the PC turning on but no video showing on the monitor, bios randomly not seeing various sticks of ram in there.. finally it occurred to me to turn off DOCP and set it back to "auto" and problem solved in that the bios can now see the ram.

So I get that an upgrade to a better power supply would help at this point.. but here's where I'm conflicted. I'd really rather not spend $200 on a power supply (my wife would kill me :) ) and just stick with the budget power supplies (albeit not as budget as the one above :p ) even if it means I can't bring the ram beyond the "default" 2133 (I think it's 2133 ?) speed...

Would it be correct to say that this is about how much I'd have to spend to get a power supply that will let ram run at 3200 speed? I say $200 only because I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that you need a tier A power supply and going off a thread like this one

https://techwafer.com/psu-tier-list/

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V850-Platinum-Full-Modular/dp/B07NQTTGZW

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Titanium-Efficiency-virtually-inaudible/dp/B08XWSYMRV

that's a few examples of how much tier A power supplies cost.. and if that's the case in order to be able to preserve myself from my wife's wrath :p I'd rather just stick with my tier B (I think it's a tier B?) coolermaster 750 watt masterwatt bronze certified power supply I got on sale last Black Friday/December winter sale for about $36 after rebate (yep I know I'm being cheap :) )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZLQZH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I know the answer to this one though.. it's safe to assume that increasing the ram speed to 3200 for four sticks of ram would be a bad idea with that coolermaster master watt power supply ? And am I also correct in that I'm looking at a $200 power supply to safely overclock the four sticks of ram to 3200 speed?

I thought about starting a new thread for these other two questions but I was afraid of annoying people on here by posting three threads all at once :( , forgive me if I'm doing the wrong thing here...

In my son's desktop PC I got lucky and his two sticks of ram are running at 3200 speed and from what I've seen on the forums a lot of it is just that, luck, it either works or it doesn't.. but is there a risk of making his desktop PC unstable? Should I go back into BIOS and set it back from DOCP to overclock and just let the ram run at 2133 speed instead? His desktop build is

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35VDesktop Memory - Black, 2 count (pack of 1) (so two ram sticks each 16 GB)

-AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (stock cooler)

-ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen™) Micro ATX GamingMotherboard

- MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 DirectX 12 VRReady CFX Graphcis Card (RX 570 ARMOR MK2 8G OC)

- three SSD drives (2.5 form factor), one Western Digital Black "Performance" drive, one m2 form factor drive Crucial P3 1TB PCIe 3.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s -CT1000P3SSD8

- CD/DVD tray (another ancient ultra defender 2 case)

- six 120 mm case fans

- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 (New) CP-9020123-NA 750W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non- Modular Active PFC Power Supply

and.. last question I promise :) .. for my own desktop build I had a few heart attacks putting together my PC build (well more like swapping out the motherboard/CPU/RAM instead which is what I did with all three of these desktop PC's) when I kept getting an error message causing the system to boot into BIOS before it finally occurred to me to just unseat and reseat the two ram sticks after which the system was happy and booted up into Windows... after that heart attack I just left the ram at it's default 2133 speed and I'm wondering if it would be wise to just leave well enough alone and let it stay at that speed instead of the 3200 speed the ram is capable of?.. my desktop PC build is

-AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

-Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler, Dual Tower 6 Heat Pipe,Dual 120mm TL-C12C PWM CPU Fan, for AMD AM4/AM5/Intel LGA1700/1150/1151/1200, AGHP Technology, Aluminium Heatsink Cover

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35VDesktop Memory - Black, 2 count (pack of 1) (so two sticks of 16 GB ram)

-Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS AMD Chipset Socket AM4 ATX Motherboard

-ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)

- four 2.5 form factor SSD drives, one Western Digital 2TB WD Red Plus Internal Hard Drive 5400 RPM WD20EFZX (amazon shipped it to me by mistake then let me keep it for free :) .. amazingly enough it's been working fine for me as a desktop drive to store files) and one Seagate SkyHawk 4TB Surveillance Hard Drive (ST4000VX007) (snagged it from my direct TV DVR dock when we ditched Direct TV and also works surprisingly well for me as a desktop drive to store files)

- three 140 mm fans, one 120 mm fan

- CD/ROM tray

- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w Fully Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified + Riing 14 RGB Fan

Sorry I know that's a lot to throw into a single post .. to anyone who takes the time to read and this and reply you have my heartfelt thanks and gratitude :) ..