Power Supply needs for GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Jefferson

Honorable
May 6, 2013
My GPU died and I planned on buying a new one to replace it. I decided to test my power supply to see if there were any problems before I spend money on a GPU. I have a LCD Power Supply tester and ran tests on my Corsair 750 ATX. All the connectors passed but the PG is 360. The graphic card suggested for my system is a GTX 650. Can anyone tell me if the 360 PG means I need to replace my power supply and if it will run the GTX 650?

Onus

Titan
A GTX650 will run on a 350W PSU; it barely needs the PCIe power connector, and in fact Asus (and maybe others) have one that doesn't need it.
A power supply tester such as you describe does no load or waveform testing. As such, it can identify a bad PSU because of a missing rail, but cannot identify a good PSU. Your 750W Corsair should be a decent PSU, even if it is one of the CWT-built ones.
The "PG" signal means "Power Good." In this case, I believe it is telling you the PSU responds to a PG signal (the gray wire) in 360ms. The spec says it should do so within 500ms, so you're fine.

nukemaster

Titan
I got a 650 ti running on a 300 watt power supply :) NOT that i recommend others try without low powered systems.

All the corsair units that are rated for 750 watts will have PLENTY of leftover power for your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.