Question Power supply noise ( video )

Sep 16, 2021
Hello,

I recently purchased a prebuilt PC (was the only way to get a decent graphics card).
I noticed that the PSU is making a buzzing? sounds, is this normal or can it be harmful to other components?
I've only noticed the sound when the PC is under some load ( like gaming ), haven't really noticed any issues other than the noise.
Since it's a prebuild there was not exact info about the PSU (If needed I can try to check it), but supposedly it's a 700 W 80+ bronze, so it shouldn't be issue with the W requirements.

Here is a video of the sound, it's a bit quite on video ( pretty audible in real life ), but you can propably get a idea about the sound.
View: https://youtu.be/GobbA7aWsME

Could it be just related to the fan or vibration type of deal? if that's the case is there a way to fix it or should I maybe buy a better PSU instead. I really CBA to take the whole PC back to the store to get the PSU replaced with another bad one.

Thanks!

Hello,

I recently purchased a prebuilt PC (was the only way to get a decent graphics card).
I noticed that the PSU is making a buzzing? sounds, is this normal or can it be harmful to other components?
I've only noticed the sound when the PC is under some load ( like gaming ), haven't really noticed any issues other than the noise.
Since it's a prebuild there was not exact info about the PSU (If needed I can try to check it), but supposedly it's a 700 W 80+ bronze, so it shouldn't be issue with the W requirements.

Here is a video of the sound, it's a bit quite on video ( pretty audible in real life ), but you can propably get a idea about the sound.
View: https://youtu.be/GobbA7aWsME

Could it be just related to the fan or vibration type of deal? if that's the case is there a way to fix it or should I maybe buy a better PSU instead. I really CBA to take the whole PC back to the store to get the PSU replaced with another bad one.

Thanks!

Is that a buzz or a rattle? That actually sounds like the fan. Does the pitch of the noise ever change? Is it constant?

Sep 16, 2021
Is that a buzz or a rattle? That actually sounds like the fan. Does the pitch of the noise ever change? Is it constant?

Hmm....well the sound does not happen when the computer is idle or when i'm just browsing the web / watching videos, it usually starts when I'm gaming. Yeh I'm not sure if it's buzz or ratte, will try to listen more closely 2day.

After doing some listening, it's pretty consistent while gaming, I don't think the pitch really changes. Maybe it's more of a rattle, I once had one of the side pannels pretty losesly agains the side of the computer and it was kind of making a noise, so maybe something is shaking?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
it's hard to tell from the video but could be either coil whine or a fan rattle. if done only when gaming I'd LEAN towards it being the fan running. but it could be coil whine under load.

I have an RM1000x right now that is driving me nuts with coil whine and it's more of an electrical buzz, that sounds kind of like it, but too rythmic. more like fan