Question Power supply noise

Jul 2, 2022
I have recently built a new computer and everything seemed to be fine. Yesterday when the room was quite I noticed a quite clicking sound from psu that start and stop after a period of time. I have no idea my psu is a850gf from msi. I'm pretty sure the noise wasn't there. You can listen to the noise here: View: https://m.soundcloud.com/user-658381147-173502826/click-noise
I recorded this audio by putting my phone under the psu. I don't have any hard disk so this is not the issue. Is this normal?

D

Deleted member 362816

Common on EVGA units had a few that did that for years never caused a issue. No idea who makes MSI's units personally.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
Does it change depending on load? I'm assuming your PSU is bottom mounted, out of curiosity does it have a dust cover? I had/have an issue similar to yours where my PSU was making a somewhat identical sound and it turned out that the PSU grate + my case's bottom mount grate + it's dust cover did not align evenly and was causing an airflow imbalance which was causing the fan to rattle.