Power Supply not powering my Video Card

Philip Babilonia

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hi

I recently purchased a SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon™ R9 380 4G D5 with back plate GPU and a Seasonic S12II 520W PSU. I'm trying to plug it in today and it's my first time so it takes quite some time when I finally notice that the GPU doesn't power up fully whatever I do even with the correct pluggins inserted. I'm really don't have any idea what seems to be wrong except that the GPU has 12 slots wherein the PSU I bought has x2 6/8 PCI-E pin, when I try to insert 1, nothing happens (with the power on) and if struggle to insert both, one of the fan powers up weakly but it quickly dies after some seconds, which i'm trying to guess from what I'm doing is wrong. I'm trying to read both the PSU and GPU manual but I don't quite get what it says and what seems to be wrong so I'm just going to put this here, What seems to be wrong on this? This is my first time so if you can explain simply, I would appreciate. I really would like to fix this within the day so I can test out the new GPU I bought.

Oh and if you're wondering what I'm using, I'm using the old one just to ask people for this problem. Thanks.

Thanks everyone!

Philip Babilonia

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
@Shad2466 Yes I did and it only powers up weakly and dies afterwards after some seconds. Also, it's adjacent to each other and it feels like I'm forcing the wire. There are some loose wires like 4 pins and those for the dvd drive but other than that, I don't see any 6/8 pin on my PSU other than the 20/24 and the 4/8 for the CPU

Here's a screenshot so I can be more specific on what I'm describing about:
488TLS.jpg

wHgVUj.jpg

Your power supply has 2 connectors labeled PCI-E.
These are 6+2 connectors.
You need to insert the 2 6 pin connector parts into the video card and leave the 2 +2 connectors hanging.
From the pictures, it looks like the locking tab on the connectors should be to the back side of the card.

Philip Babilonia

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
@Unolocogringo I've tried inserting both 2+6 pins and leaving the 2+2 connectors hanging but as I've said, it powers up weakly (one fan only) and I don't understand this part "From the pictures, it looks like the locking tab on the connectors should be to the back side of the card. "

Philip Babilonia

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I've taken the liberty of taking out my new GPU and PSU and used my old ones just to be able to guided step by step. Here are the folllowing wires it includes from my PSU and the GPU slot:

1st pic: GPU Slot
xVR71C.jpg

2nd pic: (left to right, from my understanding, might be wrong)
x2 6+2 pin
x1 4/8 pin
x1 20/24 pin
x4 4 pin
zpPCCA.jpg

My concern: this is the x2 6+2 pin which I tried inserting and creates the problem, it is also back to back which makes it quite stretched when I try and isn't that wrong?
DEgc9E.jpg

If anyone can tell me step by step what to do and which slot goes where, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot

TRENDING THREADS